Vanguard record

38 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

73 record - margin of victory?

That's not it..........however, you are actually correct with an additional record that they set in 1973,  as from what I can see, their margin of victory at finals 1973 (2.5 points) looks to be the record for margin of victory at finals.  This record question involves something that happened in 1972 prelims....and they also set another record in 1973 prelims and

finals in addition to the 1973 margin of victory.  

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Did they not win any captions, yet still end up with the highest score? 

Good guess, but no.........in 1972 prelims, they did win the drum caption for their only prelim caption win......(yet still managed to win prelims by 2.4 points, only to drop to

3rd in finals).

OK, nobody go it..............so here is the answer.............I only posted because I was startled when I saw this...........

The 1972 Vanguard was the only corps to win a DCI Championship prelims or finals with a judge giving them a

score that was not in the top 12......their 14th in marching by one judge is the lowest ranked score a winner has ever received, as they won prelims.

The "feat" happened AGAIN in 1973, as they won the DCI Championship prelims, but were 13th in brass by one of the judges.

Finally, also in 1973, they were 7th in brass in prelims....the lowest brass rating for a corps that won a World Championship prelims/finals.  (9th perf/13th perf/4th MA)

They did up things in finals....3rd overall in brass...........9th perf/5th perf/1st MA.......and won their first title.

For the record, they did not have a "bad" hornline...............the book was very demanding....this was the "ticK" era...............usually, though, they were credited with how well they

were doing with a very tough musical book.............percussion helped get them there.....as Sanford's writing was ahead of his time, and they played really well. 

I can't imagine a corps in our current era getting 14th by a judge and still coming up with the win.................highly unlikely...............my guess is that this will hold for

a very long time...............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I can't imagine a corps in our current era getting 14th by a judge and still coming up with the win.................highly unlikely...............my guess is that this will hold for a very long time...............

For eva!

23 hours ago, Bob984 said:

No......Perfect GE score was 1975, and that was quite a show.......to play some of the stuff that they played on valve-rotor horns was pretty amazing, and Royer and Sanford

really created a gem of a book.........and the drill was very good for the day...........

OK - I stand corrected. 

Looking at recap SCV & Madison tied with 10.0 in GE Brass & Percussion; SCV had them by 0.3 on visual GE.

But in execution Madison's brass beat SCV brass by more than SCV's percussion beat Madisons percussion.  In M&M execution Madison was like 1.3 better than SCV.

33 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK - I stand corrected. 

Looking at recap SCV & Madison tied with 10.0 in GE Brass & Percussion; SCV had them by 0.3 on visual GE.

But in execution Madison's brass beat SCV brass by more than SCV's percussion beat Madisons percussion.  In M&M execution Madison was like 1.3 better than SCV.

1975 was a great drum corps year.  Both Madison and SCV were very impressive.  Very different, but each a master of their style. SCV's  perfect overall score in effect is the only time it's happened.   Had the Muchachos not been disqualified (not saying that they should not have been),  finals night would have been even more electric.  Madison's hornline/power was legendary, with great soloists, and Ray Baumgart wrote a great book that they sold very well.   I still love watching those shows.  It was my first year ever seeing a junior corps....what a way to be "indoctrinated",  as I saw SCV at an August band clinic not long before nationals........I was 17, and my jaw was on the ground................