Horns and Drums

Question...........

What corps and year............this corps won high brass in prelims, but finished in 22rd place in drums (23rd in perc. excecution) 

in that contest.    They are the only corps to have this large a disparity between brass and percussion while winning one of the two captions at a DCI prelims/championship.

Could that possibly have been Spirit of Atlanta in 77 or 78? haven't checked any scores but...just guessing

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Argonne Rebels in 72?

You were close..................1973.............Argonne Rebels won brass in prelims, and were 22nd in drums...........they made finals.......in finals, they were 2nd in brass and

12th (last) in percussion.  They beat the champion Vanguard in brass by a tenth, but lost to them by 6.7 POINTS in drums....the corps was 11th.  I heard that it was a tough

finish for them, as they knew prior to the season that they were going to have a stellar brass section.....but percussion and marching held them back all season long......still,

they aspired to win high brass, and did so in prelims, but not finals.  It was also the second year in a row for that, as they won high brass at DCI prelims in 1972 as well, but

were 4th in finals.  The disparity was  there in 1972, as the drumline was 13th in prelims, though they did gain some ground in finals, finishing 9th in drums.  Two years in a row, though,

they won high brass in prelims but did not place in the top 12 in drums.  Sandra Opie was an amazing instructor and judge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

You were close..................1973.............Argonne Rebels won brass in prelims, and were 22nd in drums...........they made finals.......in finals, they were 2nd in brass and

12th (last) in percussion.  They beat the champion Vanguard in brass by a tenth, but lost to them by 6.7 POINTS in drums....the corps was 11th.  I heard that it was a tough

finish for them, as they knew prior to the season that they were going to have a stellar brass section.....but percussion and marching held them back all season long......still,

they aspired to win high brass, and did so in prelims, but not finals.  It was also the second year in a row for that, as they won high brass at DCI prelims in 1972 as well, but

were 4th in finals.  The disparity was  there in 1972, as the drumline was 13th in prelims, though they did gain some ground in finals, finishing 9th in drums.  Two years in a row, though,

they won high brass in prelims but did not place in the top 12 in drums.  Sandra Opie was an amazing instructor and judge.

I nearly ran over Sandra Opie in a show once. I had to shout at her to run.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I nearly ran over Sandra Opie in a show once. I had to shout at her to run.

She was a legend.  She could be brutal, but one thing that was great is that she didn't care who you were, how many shows you did or did not

win,  or how you did last night, last week, last month, last year, or the last 20 years.  I especially remember a particular show in the east....it was

either 1979 or 1980.  She flew in to judge.  I think that nearly all of the Eastern "powerhouses" were in this show.  They announced the caption

awards, and I think they were all between the Bridgemen and 27th.....then, the announcer goes, "and the award for high brass this evening goes

to...."The Royal Brigade".  They had a good hornline that year, and on an "on" night, could hang.  They were nowhere close in the show overall....but

they won high brass that night.  Priceless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob984 said:

She was a legend.  She could be brutal, but one thing that was great is that she didn't care who you were, how many shows you did or did not

win,  or how you did last night, last week, last month, last year, or the last 20 years.  I especially remember a particular show in the east....it was

either 1979 or 1980.  She flew in to judge.  I think that nearly all of the Eastern "powerhouses" were in this show.  They announced the caption

awards, and I think they were all between the Bridgemen and 27th.....then, the announcer goes, "and the award for high brass this evening goes

to...."The Royal Brigade".  They had a good hornline that year, and on an "on" night, could hang.  They were nowhere close in the show overall....but

In 1980 at the Bayonne show,  Long Island Kingsmen won brass over 27th, Crossmen and North Star.

10 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I especially remember a particular show in the east....it was either 1979 or 1980.  She flew in to judge.  I think that nearly all of the Eastern "powerhouses" were in this show.  They announced the caption awards, and I think they were all between the Bridgemen and 27th.....then, the announcer goes, "and the award for high brass this evening goes to...."The Royal Brigade".  They had a good hornline that year, and on an "on" night, could hang.  They were nowhere close in the show overall....but they won high brass that night.  Priceless.

I think it would benefit DCI if some caption awards were announced at regular shows.

12 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Actually that would be a Living Legend (unless I missed something; IIRC her husband Glenn passed a few years back).

She proved once & for all that valve/rotor G bugles can indeed play in tune.  And she obviously did not understand the concept of 'slotting'.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

47 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Actually that would be a Living Legend (unless I missed something; IIRC her husband Glenn passed a few years back).

She proved once & for all that valve/rotor G bugles can indeed play in tune.  And she obviously did not understand the concept of 'slotting'.

You are correct.......my statement should be that she "IS" a living legend................what she did with the kids at Argonne was off the hook.............

a great judge.......her tapes were loaded with constructive musical commentary and  were both accurate and detailed...........and no games........

• Thanks 1