The 1993 Thread

8 hours ago, grimmo said:

Phantom blew the house down with FOEG then were quite messy standing up again. Love that show but at the time felt the ending was abrupt

That show was one baby-throwing moment after another.  It's interesting that as strong a show as it was, there's not much controversy over their placement--Cadets and Star were just that good.

Also, in this era of chop and bop, it's always refreshing to hear a corp let the music develop--Death Hunt is very close to a note-for note transcription.

But dear Lord, Fire of Eternal Glory.  One of my all-time favorite moments.  THAT'S the Phantom Regiment identity.

• Like 3

i have the vol4 cassette somewhere with Northern Aurora and the others that didnt make the CD are on. I low key enjoyed listening to them and Marauders, Southwind, etc. I still listen too 93 Freelancers, Spirit of Georgia (Atlanta), Magic on a regular basis. I uploaded the CD audio files to my Google Music account. front to back, a great year for DCI.

star of indiana - recollections
pixel.gif

by Bill Cook - Founder, Star of Indiana
Originally Written: Sept. 23, 1995
Revised: Nov. 17, 1996, Mar. 12, 1999, & January 2, 2001

THE SUMMER OF 1993, THE YEAR OF THE B###H
The "Medea" show was music by Bartok and Barber. Again, Jim decided to experiment with body motion executed by the entire ensemble. He asked the visual people to design a stark show which would be portrayed by contrasting colors and shapes--triangles and straight poles. The 1989 uniforms were replaced with a cream and black uniform. He did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting. Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance. When the show was finished, it was beautiful to watch. And today, the 1993 show stands out for me as my favorite. The drill intensity, blatant bursts on the horns and discordant percussion were intriguing . I'm probably nuts but I actually enjoyed getting irritated--Medea was truly a #####. Our final score was 97.3 for second behind the Cadets with a 97.4.

Retrospect, 1993 I'm often asked and I'm sure the members are asked: "Didn't you think that you should have won?" Hey, I think that Star should always win but that is not the way life is played. The beautiful part of drum corps is that there can only be one champion and in 1993 it was the Cadets. Now, what about the members? Were they disappointed? Come on--sure they were. But after a few tears were shed, most of them headed for supper and a few of them were looking for rides back to school.

Like many other corps, we were all glad to leave Jackson--it was hot, it was humid, and it rained! Championship week for Jim and me was bittersweet. The week was exciting and had the best of what drum and bugle corps has to offer. Our future was already charted; we would go with the Canadian Brass--win or lose. When we came back to Bloomington, we announced at our annual banquet that Star would be leaving drum corps, would be playing on b-flat horns, and would be performing "Brass Theater."

It seemed like 1985 again when Jim "sold hot air." He described "Brass Theater" to the members, and then he casually mentioned that they would have to prepare for two types of shows, one performed on a small stage and one performed on a basketball floor. He explained that the repertoire would exceed two hours in length, that percussion and brass ensembles would be featured during various parts of the show. When he finished, I felt warm and fuzzy but I'm not exactly sure how the corps felt except confused. After this meeting, I have been asked what the corps members thought and I can only answer--anxious but understanding.

Star's association with the Canadian Brass in 1993 was the year of Star's swan song. In the early spring, Star, Glassmen, Chicago Vanguard, and Pioneers gave a stand still performance at Indiana University's Auditorium in Bloomington. The night before, all of the corps attended a performance of the Canadian Brass ensemble; the auditorium was filled and the crowd received them with the enthusiasm of brass music lovers. That evening, Jim and I had been invited to a reception for the five CB which was hosted by Harvey Phillips, Dr. Tuba Santa. During a conversation, Chuck Dahlenbach of CB asked us if he and two other CBers could stay over and watch our drum corps show on Sunday afternoon. He didn't need to ask; we would have begged him to do it. In any event, they attended the performance, and afterward Chuck broached the subject of how Star could participate with them. The following Monday Chuck called to ask if some of Star's percussionists could play on their 'Broadway' CD. During the time of the recording, ideas started to develop; several weeks later, we met Chuck and Gene Watts in Florida and began discussions on how we could perform together. At the time, I did not believe that the corps could learn two hours of music and play it with the precision necessary to satisfy audiences that had very high expectations. But Jim, Gene, and Chuck thought otherwise. In June we signed a letter of intent which resulted in a contract that was signed in September.

We thought that our members deserved a chance to perform at some of the best venues in the world, to try to reach a level of excellence that is uncommon for young people and to be a part of a new genre. The program had to be two hours in length with twenty two minutes of drill plus solo features for both brass and percussion little did we realize what a challenge this was going to be.

Edited by Jeffe77
editorial correction

DCI High Percussion Winner

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

DCI High Percussion Winner

A truly musical percussion line, and the timing was just impeccable. This is a great listen.

• Like 1

Can we talk about the Scouts closer in 93? I've always loved it - a perfect 1990s closer. A Scott Boerma original that really didn't "fit" with the rest of the show in the 2020 show design sense, but really fun. As much as I like current DCI, I'd love for a corps to competently try a "Reflection and Evolution" kind of show in 2021. 

Wayne Downey's legacy is incredible, but I think his best arranging job was 1993. Just perfect. 

1993 was the first year I watched the DCI broadcast. It took me years to really get into Star, and I would say the same about that Cavies show. It's almost as esoteric as Star musically. However, Morning Alleluias is a terrific closer.

But most of all, the 1993 edition of Phantom Regiment made me a phan. A perfect collection of tunes that worked so well together. An iconic drill moment. 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, Jeffe77 said:

star of indiana - recollections
pixel.gif

by Bill Cook - Founder, Star of Indiana
Originally Written: Sept. 23, 1995
Revised: Nov. 17, 1996, Mar. 12, 1999, & January 2, 2001

THE SUMMER OF 1993, THE YEAR OF THE B###H
The "Medea" show was music by Bartok and Barber. Again, Jim decided to experiment with body motion executed by the entire ensemble. He asked the visual people to design a stark show which would be portrayed by contrasting colors and shapes--triangles and straight poles. The 1989 uniforms were replaced with a cream and black uniform. He did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting. Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance. When the show was finished, it was beautiful to watch. And today, the 1993 show stands out for me as my favorite. The drill intensity, blatant bursts on the horns and discordant percussion were intriguing . I'm probably nuts but I actually enjoyed getting irritated--Medea was truly a #####. Our final score was 97.3 for second behind the Cadets with a 97.4.

Retrospect, 1993 I'm often asked and I'm sure the members are asked: "Didn't you think that you should have won?" Hey, I think that Star should always win but that is not the way life is played. The beautiful part of drum corps is that there can only be one champion and in 1993 it was the Cadets. Now, what about the members? Were they disappointed? Come on--sure they were. But after a few tears were shed, most of them headed for supper and a few of them were looking for rides back to school.

Like many other corps, we were all glad to leave Jackson--it was hot, it was humid, and it rained! Championship week for Jim and me was bittersweet. The week was exciting and had the best of what drum and bugle corps has to offer. Our future was already charted; we would go with the Canadian Brass--win or lose. When we came back to Bloomington, we announced at our annual banquet that Star would be leaving drum corps, would be playing on b-flat horns, and would be performing "Brass Theater."

It seemed like 1985 again when Jim "sold hot air." He described "Brass Theater" to the members, and then he casually mentioned that they would have to prepare for two types of shows, one performed on a small stage and one performed on a basketball floor. He explained that the repertoire would exceed two hours in length, that percussion and brass ensembles would be featured during various parts of the show. When he finished, I felt warm and fuzzy but I'm not exactly sure how the corps felt except confused. After this meeting, I have been asked what the corps members thought and I can only answer--anxious but understanding.

Star's association with the Canadian Brass in 1993 was the year of Star's swan song. In the early spring, Star, Glassmen, Chicago Vanguard, and Pioneers gave a stand still performance at Indiana University's Auditorium in Bloomington. The night before, all of the corps attended a performance of the Canadian Brass ensemble; the auditorium was filled and the crowd received them with the enthusiasm of brass music lovers. That evening, Jim and I had been invited to a reception for the five CB which was hosted by Harvey Phillips, Dr. Tuba Santa. During a conversation, Chuck Dahlenbach of CB asked us if he and two other CBers could stay over and watch our drum corps show on Sunday afternoon. He didn't need to ask; we would have begged him to do it. In any event, they attended the performance, and afterward Chuck broached the subject of how Star could participate with them. The following Monday Chuck called to ask if some of Star's percussionists could play on their 'Broadway' CD. During the time of the recording, ideas started to develop; several weeks later, we met Chuck and Gene Watts in Florida and began discussions on how we could perform together. At the time, I did not believe that the corps could learn two hours of music and play it with the precision necessary to satisfy audiences that had very high expectations. But Jim, Gene, and Chuck thought otherwise. In June we signed a letter of intent which resulted in a contract that was signed in September.

We thought that our members deserved a chance to perform at some of the best venues in the world, to try to reach a level of excellence that is uncommon for young people and to be a part of a new genre. The program had to be two hours in length with twenty two minutes of drill plus solo features for both brass and percussion little did we realize what a challenge this was going to be.

I think it deserves a bump, interesting perspective, especially about Star's exit from DCI.

1993 will always have a special place for me as this was my first exposure to drum corps. Back then I was 16, jr. in High School. Back then, John DeNovi (current DCI Marketing Exec) was our marching instructor, and he brought in VHS tape of the PBS broadcast during band camp and played the Cadets 93 show. My jaw dropped. How can they march so fast? Being a tenor player, you can imagine how jarring witnessing tenor playing at it's highest level, 2 mallets per hand feature as an example. He then said that PBS was replaying the broadcast that following Sunday morning. So of course I got up early, got a blank VHS, press record and watched. 

I posted a YT playlist of another user who uploaded the broadcast version of DCI Finals in 1993.

My first impression was the Intro, it was B-Roll of the Cadets sweating with a Curt Cowdy voice over talking about the "the fire that burns inside", basically, DCI's version of the "frozen tundra" line in NFL flims. Then followed by the intro to the Scouts, treating the broadcast like a sporting event, as a young impressionable sports fan, it got me.

Quick Impressions
Madison Scouts

• Performing in Heavy Rain
  • The energy from the crowd
  • Screaming Soprano Solos in Strawberry Soup
  • Keep in mind, the biggest drumline I ever seen in competitions up to that point would be 5 snares, 3 tenors and 5 basses,
    and here you have Scouts with 10 Snares, 5 Tenors, 6 Basses, 9 Cymbals, so yeah, that caught my attention.
  • The Drum Feature, especially the snare-tom feature

Blue Devils

• The Hornline! 
  • That cat in the goatee can play
  • You can march in 13/8?! lol
  • Quite a few drops from the guard, but understandable with the rain
  • Love the different Soloist and Brass Ensembles

Cavaliers

• Solid Show
  • Oh my, a lot of falls
  • Very cool drum feature

Phantom Regiment

• Forever (even though I'm a SCV supporter)  I root for Phantom Regiment because of this show
  • Love the show
  • The pit is in the middle of the field!?!
  • Unique percussion arrangement
  • The whole Corps did what?!?! (crabwalk)
  • The ballad, one of my favorites of all time The Fire of Eternal Glory
  • Helmets on the field as a formation during the ballad
  • What a way to close out the show
  • The crowd ate up the show

Star of Indiana
Please note that I regard this show as one of the best of all time and once I listen to the source music in college, I quickly realized the brilliance of the show, and also realized the brilliance of the arrangements from Prime and Hannum. This show is a work of art, period!
(My confession - I had a bad impression of this show as a 16 year old caveboy. The thoughts below were my initial impressions)

• As young, immature musician, this show was over my head
  • Why no costume for the guard? Just black leotards?
  • Why is the corps doing body movement?
  • Weird music
  • "Finish it, take it home!!"
  • Wow the corps is hyped at the end of the show
  • I thought they were the Star of Indiana 😂

The Cadets (of Bergen County)

• Ah, this is more like it
  • Man they are moving fast
  • Jesus Christ Quads!
  • Even I knew the snare line bleeped the bed at the end of the snare feature.
  • Awesome ballad
  • Great Show

Well, below is the broadcast. Enjoy!

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 2