The 1993 Thread

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Can we talk about the Scouts closer in 93? I've always loved it - a perfect 1990s closer. A Scott Boerma original that really didn't "fit" with the rest of the show in the 2020 show design sense, but really fun. As much as I like current DCI, I'd love for a corps to competently try a "Reflection and Evolution" kind of show in 2021. 

Wayne Downey's legacy is incredible, but I think his best arranging job was 1993. Just perfect. 

1993 was the first year I watched the DCI broadcast. It took me years to really get into Star, and I would say the same about that Cavies show. It's almost as esoteric as Star musically. However, Morning Alleluias is a terrific closer.

But most of all, the 1993 edition of Phantom Regiment made me a phan. A perfect collection of tunes that worked so well together. An iconic drill moment. 

Madison's closer in 93 didn't wow me. It's nice but almost too restrained. But they were blowing the house down for the first seven minutes, so maybe a little restraint was in order. 

• Like 1

Always enjoy seeing a good performance in the rain. Last year at the marching band state finals here, there's been a little light rain on and off all day, but a ten minute soaker with strong winds struck for just one band, starting just as they were setting up on the field and ending right after they finished. They had an enormous tarp that started to whip around like the Tacoma Narrows bridge, so they quickly pulled it off the field right before they started playing, and then they gave what I thought was their best performance of the year. It's just great to watch a group perservere through the elements -- like Madison does here.

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Continental said:

Phantom Regiment - '93 Quarter Finals

So today you posted two Phantom videos from two different years. Feeling nostalgic? (It’s OK if you are.) 🙂

Just now, Continental said:

I found a recently posted video and as is my habit, went to look at all the videos the poster had on YouTube. 

Ah, your attention span and curiosity outstrips mine by a mile. 🙂