Mapex

They've been used by several corps for a few years now.  Thoughts?  I'm a brass guy who admittedly doesn't have much of an ear for clean vs. dirty percussion, but honestly, I really like Mapex.  Seems like an affordable alternative to the likes of Yamaha.

They're very temperamental, especially the snares, but if you can tune them well they sound great. Also much cheaper compared to other big brands. Their equipment is okay (they use Randall May for their harnesses now, which is a huuuuuuuuuge improvement over the XL days), the rims and construction make them stupid durable and STUPID HEAVY. In 2011, we compared our 28" bass 4 at Surf to Cavies 32" Yamaha bass 5, and the Mapex was heavier. 

So, in short, if you don't mind goofy stands, you don't mind very heavy drums, and you have the patience to tune them well, Mapex is a GREAT choice.

the drums are heavier but my experiences have been good

Got some friends that use them & love them.  (Per their comments: "great customer service")  Their tenors* are the closest I've ever heard to the Pearl tone quality.  I like my tenor sound dark & slightly wet w/2 ply heads**.

*tenors = quads, quints, sextets, etc

**heads = Remo Pinstripe    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

11 hours ago, gbass598 said:

I've used them and it is quality equipment. The biggest downside is the Randall May stuff. The improvements they've made on the drums in recent years are really great.

As underwhelming as May equipment is, it is a faaaaaaaaaaar improvement over the XL equipment Mapex used to partner with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

As underwhelming as May equipment is, it is a faaaaaaaaaaar improvement over the XL equipment Mapex used to partner with.

I can't deny that. The Randall May works well enough. It is just lots of pieces and parts that break over time.

• Like 1