BDPA to partner with Conn/Selmer

I thought BD had Premiers badged as Yamahas one season, or am I making that up.

Slingerland was the sad story of what happens when a family ownership sells to someone who is driven by bottom line without any deep knowledge of the business itself. The product was a little iffy by the late 70s anyway from a quality control standpoint (and the new owners weren't going to invest in new dies or molds to keep up), and by the time the Japanese brands were widely available in the early 80s, there was no reason to look at Slingy.

That being said, now that DW owns the Slingerland brand, I'm looking forward to the possible re-introduction of some iconic 30s/40s/50s product, the same way Rogers' owner is slowly rolling out some quality boutique pieces.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I thought BD had Premiers badged as Yamahas one season, or am I making that up.

Slingerland was the sad story of what happens when a family ownership sells to someone who is driven by bottom line without any deep knowledge of the business itself. The product was a little iffy by the late 70s anyway from a quality control standpoint (and the new owners weren't going to invest in new dies or molds to keep up), and by the time the Japanese brands were widely available in the early 80s, there was no reason to look at Slingy.

That being said, now that DW owns the Slingerland brand, I'm looking forward to the possible re-introduction of some iconic 30s/40s/50s product, the same way Rogers' owner is slowly rolling out some quality boutique pieces.

I bought one of the new wood Rogers 6.5 by 14 DynaSonics and it is incredible. The gloss black finish rivals a Steinway. 

I was poking around the Ludwig website and their snares look like a carbon copy of what everyone else is making. 

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/instruments/educational-percussion/marching-drums/ludwig-ultimate-marching-snare-drums

Edited by SFZFAN

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, gbass598 said:

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/education/programs/conn-selmer-marching?fbclid=IwAR2G8joUicUwAdcMSmxT2e9xEXCqoc0hP8eGNV9YgSIezfJgAoM_GZqXyT8

False alarm. Ludwig is slapping a sticker on the System Blue drums and calling them their own now. Call me disappointed.

I read that, too. Their updated line of drums are far superior to those hideous Remo knock-offs. 

• 3 months later...