The 1994 Thread

I totally forgot to post earlier how ###### much  I like BD’s 94 show. Love the concept, the single-source repertoire, the way each tune kind of builds and builds, the insane brass feature in the closer, all of it! One of my favorite BD programs.

Mike

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:29 AM, jwillis35 said:

With Star of Indiana leaving the activity for Brass Theater (and eventually Blast!), the Blue Devils were smart to pick-up one of Star's top visual instructors, Todd Ryan. Todd is a former Madison Scout who had been working with Star of Indiana. He helped to bring their marching technique to the top of the activity. This is what he did for the Blue Devils beginning in 1994. ...... Cadets actually won field percussion on Finals night but I think BD still got the drum trophy for the 3-day Finals scores.

This in my opinion encapsulates why the Blue Devils won. Todd Ryan and Scott Johnson, addressing the issues that held back BD from becoming contenders in DCI since 1988. 

In 1988 BD was 3rd and some say should have won that year, then they placed 4th very year since with the exception of 91 when they placed 5th as they took High Brass with Star.

Bottom line, BD's percussion program took a hit when ScoJo (BD Battery Tech 77-89) left for SCV and Tom Float walked early in 1991 and wasn't until ScoJo came back in 94 that he and his staff restored BD percussion back to prominence.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:02 PM, MikeN said:

Cavaliers pushed a little harder into classical and wind ensemble literature, and while 4th is nothing to sneeze at, it just *felt* like the corps was drifting a bit.  It was not a terribly engaging show, and Sensemaya in particular might have been one of the strangest openers played in all of DCI at that time.  The closer also felt like a massive swing-and-miss and didn't fit at all with everything else.  History shows they righted the ship after, but as much of a Cavaliers fan as I am, this is... not my favorite show.

I love the March, but I really didn't understand it as the closer of this show. And it makes an odd closer in general. 

The March didn't fit this show at all musically.  However, I have a theory that this was the beginning of visual concept shows that Cavies truly pioneered/perfected in the 00's

In the years prior to the mid 80's we had variety shows.  Just good music ... who cares about a theme.  Obviously, some corps went above and beyond the variety concept .. I"m just speaking in generalizations.

In the mid 80's - mid 90's, we had shows based on ONE composer or a broadway show .... or an entire piece of music.  Visual was still a vehicle to define and express the music.  And the music was paramount.  Some call this the Golden Era of drum corps ... an era many long for DCI to return to.  Exceptions to this motif would be All but 1987 of Suncoast Sound in the years they made finals.  VK was also an exception ... however they were still doing variety music shows with a visual concept of comedy much like Bridgemen (extremely missing since their departures).

This Cavies show was based on an IDEA.  Much like 84-89 Suncoast (sans 87), this was a concept driven show.  This began the process where music would start to take a backseat to the "concept".  Although, nothing as extreme as the 2000's shows and beyond.  

Concept eventually became visually driven to the point that music was so unimportant .... well ... I digress.

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, supersop said:

The March didn't fit this show at all musically.  However, I have a theory that this was the beginning of visual concept shows that Cavies truly pioneered/perfected in the 00's

Here's guessing the selection of the March as the closer was also a function of Spring HS winning BOA in 1993 with a show based on Symphonic Metamorphosis, which used the March as the closer. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 8:24 AM, kdaddy said:

Here's guessing the selection of the March as the closer was also a function of Spring HS winning BOA in 1993 with a show based on Symphonic Metamorphosis, which used the March as the closer. 

Why do I always remember it being Broken Arrow?  Regardless, THAT was an incredible musical show ... and their performance of the March was (IMO) designed far better than what Cavies did.  Both by itself and within the overall show context/concept.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Toledo Glassmen, 1994 Drum Corps International Quarterfinals Champions. 😛

(Thanks, rain!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Toledo Glassmen, 1994 Drum Corps International Quarterfinals Champions. 😛

(Thanks, rain!)

we had to perform like 3 times in less than 12 hours (D2 prelims, D2 Finals, D1 Quarters)..stupid patriots preseason game.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on this board in a bit so I'm late to this thread.

1994 obviously brings fond memories for me.  I was an age-out rookie that landed my spot late in the pre-season.  I savored every minute of it.  One of things I remember most is how much love we got early in the season.  BD did a rare east coast swing early in the season and the crowds were stoked.  It was great.

The other great memory was the Pavilion show.  The new unis weren't ready yet so I got to wear the SuperSuit just that once.  

It was great to be part of a first class organization and even though we dominated almost every show, we worked hard and stayed humble until the end.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

I have been trying for years to find the ad or program cover for the 1994 DCI East Allentown show to no avail!  Does anyone happen to know if there’s some kind of archive that would have copies of programs from DCI, or may even have this & willing to share?!  I was in Phantom Regiment & the pic on cover is of me from our 1993 season.  Anyone?!  lol