Cadets

Cadets officially release new website and announce the new organization: Cadets Arts and Entertainment Inc.

Exciting times for the Cadets organization. For the first time since the Hopkins issue, I believe that the Cadets are putting this behind them and moving forward! Good days are coming for the Cadets. 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, dans said:

Cadets officially release new website and announce the new organization: Cadets Arts and Entertainment Inc.

Exciting times for the Cadets organization. For the first time since the Hopkins issue, I believe that the Cadets are putting this behind them and moving forward! Good days are coming for the Cadets. 

Very exciting. I've seen nothing but good things come from Cadets in the last few months. 

• Like 2

The Cadets are still shown as a link on YEA's website (even though it redirects to the new cadets.org). Hopefully that will change soon.

Also, just to clarify, YEA technically still exists, as they still run the USBands circuits, among other activities. The Cadets are the only organization separating from YEA, to my knowledge. USBands may have to change their logo, though, now that they and the Cadets are no longer affiliated.

Otherwise, this is great news for the Cadets. Here's hoping for their comeback in the 2020s.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

https://cadets.org/new-not-for-profit-organization/

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but it seems to be an interesting choice having Denise Bonfiglio serving as CEO, Corps Director and sitting on the Board of Directors in a director position.  I know that's how corps were traditionally structured for years, but DCI has been pushing corps to establish truly independent boards in recent years.  It's outlined right in their Participation Level Guidelines that World Class organizations must have an "Independent Board defined by good governance practices".  Having the CEO/director sitting on the board opens the door for there to be a conflict of interest when it comes time for the the board to discuss a multitude of issues.  It also goes against best practices published by Board Source (which is one of the sources DCI uses to establish good governance practices) and other organizations that guide the formation/operation of non-profits.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but it seems to be an interesting choice having Denise Bonfiglio serving as CEO, Corps Director and sitting on the Board of Directors in a director position.  I know that's how corps were traditionally structured for years, but DCI has been pushing corps to establish truly independent boards in recent years.  It's outlined right in their Participation Level Guidelines that World Class organizations must have an "Independent Board defined by good governance practices".  Having the CEO/director sitting on the board opens the door for there to be a conflict of interest when it comes time for the the board to discuss a multitude of issues.  It also goes against best practices published by Board Source (which is one of the sources DCI uses to establish good governance practices) and other organizations that guide the formation/operation of non-profits.

Well that didn't take long. A Cadets thread just can't stay positive...very predictable. 

• Thanks 1

I like what I see

53 minutes ago, dans said:

Well that didn't take long. A Cadets thread just can't stay positive...very predictable. 

I'm extremely optimistic that the new organization will succeed and genuinely like what I see as an overall.  I called out the one negative point that I saw because it seems to go in the opposite direction of what DCI has been pushing organizations to do in recent years.  It wasn't that long ago that many corps had their CEO/Executive Director on their board.  Now days, most don't... and the few that do typically include them in an ex-officio role which usually comes with limits/restrictions that are outlined in the organization's by-laws. 

Given the fact that this is essentially a fresh start for the Cadets, it just seems like it would have been wise to take every possible precaution to make sure they didn't run into anything that could be deemed a conflict of interest or otherwise compromising.  Perhaps they did, and there's appropriate precautions included in the by-laws or other governing documents for the new organization.  I just don't want to see this rare opportunity of a fresh start get bogged down by something completely preventable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

I am not sure if you are overthinking this or not, but I am not worried about Denise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

I'm extremely optimistic that the new organization will succeed and genuinely like what I see as an overall.  I called out the one negative point that I saw because it seems to go in the opposite direction of what DCI has been pushing organizations to do in recent years.  It wasn't that long ago that many corps had their CEO/Executive Director on their board.  Now days, most don't... and the few that do typically include them in an ex-officio role which usually comes with limits/restrictions that are outlined in the organization's by-laws. 

Given the fact that this is essentially a fresh start for the Cadets, it just seems like it would have been wise to take every possible precaution to make sure they didn't run into anything that could be deemed a conflict of interest or otherwise compromising.  Perhaps they did, and there's appropriate precautions included in the by-laws or other governing documents for the new organization.  I just don't want to see this rare opportunity of a fresh start get bogged down by something completely preventable.

My guess is this is temporary until things are off and running.

• Like 1