The 1995 Thread

On 5/4/2020 at 3:48 PM, jwillis35 said:

The first show I attended in 1995 was the DCM All-Star Preview in Toledo, OH. Below is how scores and recaps would break down.

June 17, Toledo, OH DCM All-Star Preview

Madison Scouts...........70.6 
Cavaliers................68.9 
Phantom Regiment.........68.2 
Glassmen.................58.9 
Colts....................58.6 
Pioneer..................49.1 
Americanos...............34.3 
Blue Grass Brass.........20.9 

Recap

GE    Ensem  Perf    Pen    Total
Madison Scouts               28.1   22.0   20.5     -      70.6
Cavaliers                    26.7   21.3   21.2   (0.3)    68.9
Phantom Regiment             26.7   21.3   20.2     -      68.2
Glassmen                     23.8   18.4   16.7     -      58.9
Colts                        23.0   18.9   17.7   (1.0)    58.6
Pioneer                      18.1   16.3   17.7     -      49.1
Americanos                   13.1   10.6   11.1   (0.4)    34.4
Blue Grass Brass              7.9    7.3    9.1   (3.4)    20.9

I remember enjoying every corps. I wasn't sure about Phantom in the early stages, but by season's end they found a way to make the show work. The design was not quite as good as 89, 90, 91, 93, and 94. Musically I could not get a read on the Cavaliers early season, but visually you could see that they would be dangerous. Madison was easily the crowd favorite at any show they appeared at. Their GE scores were very good early season. I loved the Glassmen show. I think I liked the 93 show more because I really dug how they brought David Arkenstone's music to life, but this show was right up there. Their "Little Fugure" was fantastic and a great way to begin their show. The Colts were also fantastic in 1995. 

Hard to believe we improved almost 30 points over the season (88.3 at Finals). This was our home show as well as our season opener and, unfortunately, it wasn't a good run. It didn't help that the DM started counting us off without calling us to attention at the start of the show, so there was a lot of panicked bringing horns up to play from parade rest. That had an obvious effect on the performance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

My 2nd viewing of Glassmen made me love the show even more. I love classical music. Always have, and Glassmen really put together one of the best musical packages of that summer. This is a show I highly recommend to current DCI fans. It's a great listen.

Between those two viewings, we completely revamped the closer, based on Amy Grant's Christmas album rendition of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and a call back to our opening number. We called our closer "the cigarette" because Mighty Fortress before it was so powerful, it was the definite climax of the show.

The revamp came in Ypslianti, MI, at the Preview of Champions. We learned the whole new closer the day before Prelims of that weekend, which was amazing for our corps at the time.

'95 has so many great memories.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Colts and Glassmen always seemed to be Finals partners during these years.

Kind of like Spirit and Suncoast in the 80s.

7 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Regiment's musical selections were tremendous that year. Jeff Prosperie's vision for the percussion book was killer - I especially liked the drum sticks with bells during the Piano Concerto No. 2 drum feature. The black unis looked incredible, and the frames during the Paganini section were a nice touch. And how cool is the title "Adventures Under a Darkened Sky"?

Do you remember them coming out with an unusual quad setup early season? I recall something that looked like aluminum cookware used as quads that they ditched after a few performances. 

I think 95 pushes 92 as one of the strongest top 12s of the 90s. Would be interested to know how much of the finals placements people feel were due to performance on the night  versus strength of design?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, kevingamin said:

Between those two viewings, we completely revamped the closer, based on Amy Grant's Christmas album rendition of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and a call back to our opening number. We called our closer "the cigarette" because Mighty Fortress before it was so powerful, it was the definite climax of the show.

The revamp came in Ypslianti, MI, at the Preview of Champions. We learned the whole new closer the day before Prelims of that weekend, which was amazing for our corps at the time.

'95 has so many great memories.

The staff and members of Carolina Crown from that summer will always hold the Glassmen in very high regard. Crown's first Finals was truly a special one because of the awesome welcome message you guys sent us after Semis. It was my first summer on staff after being a charter member from 1990 and I'll never forget all the signatures on that sheet. Just incredible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GBugler said:

The staff and members of Carolina Crown from that summer will always hold the Glassmen in very high regard. Crown's first Finals was truly a special one because of the awesome welcome message you guys sent us after Semis. It was my first summer on staff after being a charter member from 1990 and I'll never forget all the signatures on that sheet. Just incredible.

With our first Finals appearance just two years prior (and also in 11th place!), a lot of us in the corps knew what you were feeling on that Saturday night in Buffalo. An epic milestone in the history of Crown!

• Like 2