Bruce McConnell

A corps I really miss is the Glassmen. Prompted by Yuja Wang and Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F, I started thinking back on a few of their awesome seasons back in the late 90s and early 00s. Presumably among a short list of corps that finished fifth multiple times and didn't continue to move up.

Their last fifth place finish featured brass arranger Bruce McConnell. I think he was there in 2001 and 2002, which used some similar design elements, including a tremendous flugel horn soloist. I think he also did both brass and percussion arranging at the Bluecoats in the mid-90s. Anybody know more about this guy?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kdaddy said:

A corps I really miss is the Glassmen. Prompted by Yuja Wang and Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F, I started thinking back on a few of their awesome seasons back in the late 90s and early 00s. Presumably among a short list of corps that finished fifth multiple times and didn't continue to move up.

Their last fifth place finish featured brass arranger Bruce McConnell. I think he was there in 2001 and 2002, which used some similar design elements, including a tremendous flugel horn soloist. I think he also did both brass and percussion arranging at the Bluecoats in the mid-90s. Anybody know more about this guy?

He also wrote and arranged some incredible marching band shows back in the day. Most prominently, Center Grove shows of the late 80's and 90's and many other ISSMA state finalist and champion shows. He was involved in indoor percussion. Notably at turn-of-the-century Avon. He's currently out of the marching band and drum corps scene. Good guy. Great musician - particularly jazz vibraphone.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1