The 1988 Thread

I've had multiple requests to create threads for years prior to 1989. Technically, according to DCP practice, these would go in the Historical Forums; however, they have not been used well in recent years. So, I'm going to put them here and, moderators, should you wish to move them or advise that I do subsequent posts differently, I will respect your wishes.

I'm also going to be going 'backwards,' as it were, beginning with 1988. I will do 1996 next post, then 87, 97, etc.

Though I was in high school marching band (we opened with T.O. that fall), my drum corps fandom had not yet started in 1988. So any commentary from me will be completely based on what I've read or heard. I did go with some band friends to a show at Millersville University in late June. Garfield Cadets, Dutch Boy, and Crossmen were there. I knew Garfield was good, but preferred Dutch Boy. Hee hee. 

Others can comment on the shows. I love the top four and need to become more familiar with the rest of the year. Blue Devils and 'Goodbye Yesterday' was flippin' awesome. 

Madison Scouts: DCI Semifinals

Santa Clara Vanguard: DCI Finals (excerpt one) (excerpt two)

Blue Devils: DCI Finals (excerpt one); DCI Finals (excerpt two - audio only)

Garfield Cadets: DCI Finals (part one); DCI Finals (part two)

The Cavaliers: DCI Finals (excerpt)

Phantom Regiment: see below

Star of Indiana: DCI Finals (excerpt one); DCI Finals (excerpt two)

Velvet Knights: DCI Finals (excerpt one); DCI Finals (excerpt two)

Spirit of Atlanta: DCI Finals (excerpt one); DCI Finals (excerpt two)

More to come!

Suncoast Sound:

Bluecoats:

Sky Ryders:

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 2

Cadets.  Copland's Third Symphony. 

So well done.  Just so well done.  I had not listened to his Third Symphony before Cadets performed it.  I had listened to Fanfare for the Common Man however.

I moved to Montreal in '85.  Our Metro has three notes that play at the start of every train leaving the station.  They are the same three notes at the beginning of Fanfare. 

Every time I take the Metro I think of Copland.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Continental said:

'88 Phantom.  Beautiful drill, wonderful music. They won best guard that year.  

Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet.  I think the program was a bit ahead of it's time.  

Still, a beautiful show.  

That show was a great one.  They were moving up all year, if I recall correctly.  Beautiful visuals.  I loved the closer, especially with the small brass ensemble and then the final big push.

4 hours ago, troopers1 said:

That show was a great one.  They were moving up all year, if I recall correctly.  Beautiful visuals.  I loved the closer, especially with the small brass ensemble and then the final big push.

Yeah, it's almost like the essential drum corps show, the perfect answer to "What is drum corps?"

Absolutely loved the guard this year.  The movement and equipment work they did was just amazing and so well written.  I remember this year being just as hot as all heck.

first view was at Hershey...cadets seemed odd, but it had potential....watched their percussion rehearse for 3 hours that day...amazing. Bloo looked really hot. i was incredibly surprised how far back Crossmen were. and Ventures were so awesome. a week later in Hanover, added Dutch Boy to the mix and wow...so fun.a week later, Suncoast and at that time...did not get it. added Boston too...the first les Miz show in dci! Florida Wave too

about 10 days later in Millersville a grouping of all of the above...and Fajardo.A day later in Easton a bunch of the same corps. man i loved having so many local shows in a 3 week span!!

2 weeks later down to Morgantown..add in madison, Colts and Troopers...so many fun shows..and a day later West Chester and OMG BD!!

2 days later Allentown. add in Star, Cavies, Phantom...looked like BD was gonna run away with it.

KC everyone together...madison? wow...i wanted SCV who IMO had the better Phantom this year. BD still wow, Cadets timed the peak right..Cavies has grown on me in time, as has Phantom. Star seemed to level off after Allentown. VK so fun, and year 1 of Spirit not going southern...Suncoast slowly growing on me....then Bloo and Sky Ryders. i've talked to people tied to Bloo that year, and it sounded like it wasn't fun...and i honestly wanted Dutch Boy and Crossmen in. shout out to Freelancers too

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

first view was at Hershey...cadets seemed odd, but it had potential....watched their percussion rehearse for 3 hours that day...amazing. Bloo looked really hot. i was incredibly surprised how far back Crossmen were. and Ventures were so awesome. a week later in Hanover, added Dutch Boy to the mix and wow...so fun.a week later, Suncoast and at that time...did not get it. added Boston too...the first les Miz show in dci! Florida Wave too

about 10 days later in Millersville a grouping of all of the above...and Fajardo.A day later in Easton a bunch of the same corps. man i loved having so many local shows in a 3 week span!!

2 weeks later down to Morgantown..add in madison, Colts and Troopers...so many fun shows..and a day later West Chester and OMG BD!!

2 days later Allentown. add in Star, Cavies, Phantom...looked like BD was gonna run away with it.

KC everyone together...madison? wow...i wanted SCV who IMO had the better Phantom this year. BD still wow, Cadets timed the peak right..Cavies has grown on me in time, as has Phantom. Star seemed to level off after Allentown. VK so fun, and year 1 of Spirit not going southern...Suncoast slowly growing on me....then Bloo and Sky Ryders. i've talked to people tied to Bloo that year, and it sounded like it wasn't fun...and i honestly wanted Dutch Boy and Crossmen in. shout out to Freelancers too

Was 1988 the year Ventures had the "man" dummies they threw around.  HILARIOUS!

And VK 1988 was a great show, with probably their best musical performances I ever saw.  Zorba's sops, and then there was this....

1988 Velvet Knights | Drum corps international, Drum corps, Knight

I wasn't as enamoured with the Spirit Amin Bhatia show...

1988 Spirit of Atlanta - "Petrouchka" - Closer - YouTube

On 5/6/2020 at 11:34 AM, Continental said:

'88 Phantom.  Beautiful drill, wonderful music. They won best guard that year.  

Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet.  I think the program was a bit ahead of it's time.  

Still, a beautiful show.  

Oh the whole show!  I've been looking for this.

My high school shared their drill writer that year.  So when they were slated to come through town a bunch of us got tickets to the show.  That opening hit and all the seniors looked at each other and said, "Ok, this is what we're gonna aspire to be this fall."  And we were very much the "era of flying toes" in marching style like this.  All the chills.

Also. I love the way they bring the red accents out in the end.