New Zealand Girl Reacts to Drum and Bugle Corps

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Maybe that was the show?  I seem to recall BAC using something that was super flexible as well.

If you find it, let me know so I can check it out.

Crown used fencing masks in their "Postcards from Britain" show in 1997.  I could not see them clearly enough to tell if they were real ones or not (sometimes I can spot a feature that tells me the brand), but given the weight of a real mask, and the fact that they can have some play in the fit, I'd guess they were not real ones.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I would love to see the venn diagram of fencers / drum corps enthusiasts, except I suspect you are the venn diagram of fencers / drum corps enthusiasts.

I don’t know - I marched Blue Devils 1977 and could show you my fencing scar even then - epeé for me....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

If you find it, let me know so I can check it out.

Crown used fencing masks in their "Postcards from Britain" show in 1997.  I could not see them clearly enough to tell if they were real ones or not (sometimes I can spot a feature that tells me the brand), but given the weight of a real mask, and the fact that they can have some play in the fit, I'd guess they were not real ones.

It was the 2015 show.  

This is a rehearsal video and I'm not sure if it's the same equipment they used in show or not.  The main guard seem to have fairly standard sabres.  But there's two featured guard doing some swordplay and you can see the blades bend and such.  They also seem to have handguards (or whatever the technical term is).  Best look seems to be at the :45 mark or so of this.

Edited by KVG_DC

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

It was the 2015 show.  

This is a rehearsal video and I'm not sure if it's the same equipment they used in show or not.  The main guard seem to have fairly standard sabres.  But there's two featured guard doing some swordplay and you can see the blades bend and such.  They also seem to have handguards (or whatever the technical term is).  Best look seems to be at the :45 mark or so of this.

Yeah...those are foils (with a French grip).  Foil has the most flexible blade of the three, but they could've used the same sabre I use for the same effect, and it would be moire visible because the guard is much larger and easier to see.

Here's what Olympic foil looks like (This was my first weapon, and the one where I had my only legit top 32 finish at a national event...the irony was there was a Mandarins alum in the same event!  A shame we didn't meet, but there were over 250 entrants)

Then we have epee (the weapons Troopers used)....always my worst weapon...haven't fenced it for years...no longer even HAVE my epees.  I really feel for Imre here...soooo close...probably a millisecond away from a double touch (literally...CrownBariDad would understand the timing).

And then, sabre....the weapon where I had my national ranking and the one I teach.   This is also the vid Courtney will be reacting to Saturday.

Sounds like you could be a consultant for better swordplay in guard work...grin.  

I was part of an ASL interpreting/translating team for a production of Macbeth once that had hired a professional sword choreographer for fight scenes.  It was amazing to see them at work. They used a variety of modified options too to enhance visibility and motion action for the production rather that what would be used in actual sporting situations.  

For the most part, we'd leave our seats below front stage left and take two seats in the front row as the combat scenes had no dialogue and 'spoke for themselves.'  But there was one set of scenes where some important dialogue was inserted.  Director called the interpreting team in for blocking rehearsal the week before the two interpreted performances as he was worried about something with that fight scene.  Turns out, there's a moment where a shield was thrown from back stage right to front stage left (where we sat) he was worried about.  

The guy doing the choreographer was playing the role of the one who tossed the shield and he was a complete PRO. Ran that scene with just the chairs in place, then with us sitting, then with us doing the interpreting. He threw that thing perfectly every time so it would come flying across the stage, take a dip then slide the last two feet or so and 'tap' the back of the chair gently.  It was so reliable the tap became my cue that dialogue was about to begin. 

It was super fun on show nights watching the audience visually track that thing which seemingly was  coming for my head and having it dip, slide, and tap instead.  I had total confidence in him so I just played it straight and watched the audience freak out.

• Like 2

Yeah...I've watched the stage combat team at SwordPlay (my club) work on a fight, and it's amazing the amount of control they have to have at every point.

In fact...here's a fight where I was involved in the shoot (not as a fighter, as the doctor in a duel).  I'm the one with the mutton chops,,,apologies for the F bomb from Kayla when I charge in.

Fun fact...i originally came in after the final blow (one of 5 fights...all my patients died.  I was a horrible doctor!), but for one take they told me to come in on the blow prior...and dod not tell me Kayla was going to turn on me!  They wanted a real reaction.

They got it....but they THOUGHT i was going to back off like Jacob does here...instead, I tried to push through to save my patient!

The crew got a good laugh off that....wish I could see that footage.   This was the 2nd take.

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

Yeah...I've watched the stage combat team at SwordPlay (my club) work on a fight, and it's amazing the amount of control they have to have at every point.

In fact...here's a fight where I was involved in the shoot (not as a fighter, as the doctor in a duel).  I'm the one with the mutton chops,,,apologies for the F bomb from Kayla when I charge in.

Fun fact...i originally came in after the final blow (one of 5 fights...all my patients died.  I was a horrible doctor!), but for one take they told me to come in on the blow prior...and dod not tell me Kayla was going to turn on me!  They wanted a real reaction.

They got it....but they THOUGHT i was going to back off like Jacob does here...instead, I tried to push through to save my patient!

The crew got a good laugh off that....wish I could see that footage.   This was the 2nd take.

Now that’s intense. Good job!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Now that’s intense. Good job!

Heh....the other fights were pretty good as well.

These were set in the South post Civil War, as there was a dueling culture down there at the time.   None of the wounds would've been survivable in the era anyway.  I still have the prop laudanum bottle I made.

It was a 3 hr drive home (and the muttonchops came off as soon as I got in the door!), and to keep myself awake, I talked to myself and had an entire backstory for the character I played!

• Like 1