New Zealand Girl Reacts to Drum and Bugle Corps

5 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

These days, can ANYONE understand the subtleties of a show from a single viewing? 

You're right!   I need to watch any DCI show more for the entertainment value instead of " how did this show lose/beat so and so?

i'll be honest... i know about 3 things about Felini, and to be more honest, I didn't give a #### to know more...just like Dada. Here, BD found a way to make it enjoyable to those who knew nothing, a little, and everything.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no and thus the biggest complaint about design......she loves it yet doesn't get it all. too many fans don't get it all and don't have the desire to dig for all the super deep hidden meanings.

her reaction is what more fans need to have without having to know all that

Agreed. My favorite film critic made a similar point when he reviewed the 1976 movie Network, which starred William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Peter Finch, Robert Duvall, and Ned Beatty. (Even people who've never seen the film probably know its most famous line: "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!") He pointed out that there are a number of in-jokes in the film that New Yorkers would immediately spot: a scene that's supposed to take place outside a church is actually shot in front of a well-known synagogue, and the headquarters of an evil international organization is actually the New York public library. The critic said these were "the best kind" of in-jokes: if you don't catch them, your enjoyment of the movie isn't hindered, because it works even for those without that specialized knowledge.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

I have a few of her reactions to catch up. I am glad she is doing these. With so little on TV I spend a couple of hours every night watching reaction videos. I have been watching one guy react to Carol Burnett Show bloopers and Archie Bunker segments, plus lots of music videos of course.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:42 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Love the accent (her saying “request” had me smiling). Former minister and one of my wife PTs are “kiwis”. Hey the PTs vanity plate was “4 KIWIS” (her, husband and 2 kids).

I needed to see this. I remember when I saw this show on PBS. I had the same reaction, utterly stunned. I remember yelling at the top of my lungs. It does my heart good to see that these ideas are truly evergreen, that the idiom itself is lasting. I have tears in my eyes right now, amazing.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, Cappybara said:

You know, at the time of the 2018 season, I thought a lot of people were overrating this show. And as a BD honk, I thought that while SCV deserved their win, I thought that BD would've been just as worthy of a winner.

This is my first view of Babylon since the 2018 season.

I was dead wrong. This show was by far the best show of that season. My god, the individual skill level is off the charts and the flow of the show itself is insanely good. That was a treat to watch

I couldn't agree more. Wow. What a show, and what a performance from one end zone to the other. And I don’t care how many times I see the horn snap, it just blows me away every time. Every single time. Incredible.