New Zealand Girl Reacts to Drum and Bugle Corps

When I watch E=mc2 it is striking how big of an impact Carolina Crown has had on DCI in a pretty short period of time. Their shows (with the exception of the past few) are specifically designed to showcase the music arrangements and the story. They set their own bar. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

When I watch E=mc2 it is striking how big of an impact Carolina Crown has had on DCI in a pretty short period of time. Their shows (with the exception of the past few) are specifically designed to showcase the music arrangements and the story. They set their own bar. 

The Random House publishing company in 1999 commissioned a group of literary notables to come up with a list of the 100 greatest works of fiction (in English) of the 20th century.* After perusing that survey, one critic made a point that's stuck with me: the best works of art are often imitated, of course, but they often don't infuence other great works of art. Instead, the great works represent the end of the line: pushing a particular concept as far as it can go, the culmination of everything that came before.

- - - - - - - - - -

*Here is the top ten from that list:

1. Ulysses (James Joyce 1922)

2. The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald 1925)

3. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (James Joyce 1916)

4. Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov 1955)

5. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley 1932)

6. The Sound and the Fury (William Faulkner 1929)

7. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller 1961)

8. Darkness at Noon (Arthur Koestler 1940)

9. Sons and Lovers (D. H. Lawrence 1913)

10. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck 1939)

There were lots of complaints about that list, for what it included and what it left out, and to what degree the list was intended just to sell Random House books, and a number of alternate lists were created by others.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:20 PM, tedrick said:

Scott Adams mentioned this youtube "reaction" genre today - he points out how the fun of watching these videos is in observing the enjoyment of the person viewing the video for the first time.

I think he is onto something - there is something deep in our human nature that allows us to enjoy something new to us when we are surrounded by others who are enjoying that musical experience.

Worth a listen -

Episode 1084 Scott Adams

Does he mention these guys?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does he mention these guys?

These two guys are great. They listen and appreciate all types of music. The brother on the left does a lot by himself as well. He seems to love Sinatra. The brother on the right played baritone horn in his HS band. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, 84BDsop said:

And now PC gets some Courtney love!

I usually only get to one show/year (Massillon) so don't get to see many corps live, but MAN that was a GREAT show!!!

• Like 1