New Zealand Girl Reacts to Drum and Bugle Corps

On 9/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, Cappybara said:

Ahh, what should’ve been the 2016 DCI champions

I don’t think crown should’ve won but they definitely should’ve placed 2nd (by the way crown was my favorite corps that season) 

As a BIG TIME Crown HOMER, it’s always enjoyable to introduce a casual observer to Crown 2016.  This show was absolutely Relentless in music and storyline that captured the audience from start to finish.  The New Zealander called it right when she mentioned how well the drum line performed (along with God’s Brass jamming in only in a way the Crown Brass can jam). The music book for both percussion and brass for this version of Crown is among the best of all time.  If you want to introduce a newbie to what drum corps is - and can be - it doesn’t get much better than this.  Reflecting back on the uniforms, staging, and storyline, nothing in most recent years compares.  Who can forget the incredible guard work and the beautiful integration of the entire corps in producing an extremely complete and comprehensive story. Hopefully drum corps can re-calibrate itself and produce “shows” in a way that Relentless was - not a WGI indoor show that so many corps have gravitated toward.

As for the competition of the top 3 of 2016, wow what a year it was.  Each of the top 3 beat the other at least once that season.  Scores from one to three were separated by only a 1/2 point at Finals Night, with Crown taking top brass, visual, and guard . Regardless of which corps may been have your personal favorite of the year, one thing we’d all be able to agree, we were treated to some pretty incredible performances.

By the way, looking back on 2016 from current day, I really loved the REVENGE ending.  Mercy would come later on. But this year marked a year of shooting violence and Crown took the lead and provided a message for all that Mercy can win over Revenge and bring peace.  Both endings were very emotional.  Hat’s off to the performers and design team for this incredible show.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Oops. Didn’t mean to repost.   But since I did, I would say it is always fun to introduce someone new to great shows. I think it’s why the New Zealander’s reactions are so enjoyable. Now, if we could ever get back to new shows for the rest of us. Wouldn’t that be nice!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

On 5/7/2020 at 8:33 PM, 84BDsop said:

Then don't watch or comment on it.  The rest if us will appreciate her reaction to our activity while you play the role of Debbie Downer.

Agreed.  I've always enjoyed watching the reaction of friends or coworkers when I've taken them to their first DCI show.  Watching her is the closest thing to that that we have right now.  

I'd love to see her reaction to Velvet Knights '88.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, bluesman said:

I'd love to see her reaction to Velvet Knights '88.  

Including how the all female Symbol errrrr Cymbal line was referenced.