Sign in to follow this  
greg_orangecounty

Symphonie Fantastique

Recommended Posts

Has any Corps played this piece in the "modern era"?  If so, I'd love to see/hear it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckham said:

Looks like Guardians and White Sabers were the two most recent to use it, in 2016. 

http://dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=search&song=Symphonie Fantastique

Whoa!  I thought we played it first!  The things you learn 46 years after the fact.  I'll have to find P.R.'s version and listen to it.  Nice website. Thank you,  Mr. Bekham.  Say "hi" to Posh for me.

......V.K. played it to!?  ew.

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phantom did a great job with it by finals.  It was pretty rough developing through the season though. Marcia Hanson was legendary on the podium.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Phantom did a great job with it by finals.  It was pretty rough developing through the season though. Marcia Hanson was legendary on the podium.

 

Just watched it.  That looked hard, especially with that drill.  They did it justice!  Very nice.

Wish I could find more than just the highlights.  Hoped to hear the big push and I didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember hearing Dr. Bernard Baggs say how much he loved that show musically.

The drill was insanely good. The two together were really tough to pull off. Lots of blind moves. My favorite was what I called the rotating Micky Mouse head. The sopranos were playing some amazing stuff at running tempo at the far back of the formation. Not good staging. You couldn’t hear half of the musicality of the show due to staging/form construction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

I remember hearing Dr. Bernard Baggs say how much he loved that show musically.

The drill was insanely good. The two together were really tough to pull off. Lots of blind moves. My favorite was what I called the rotating Micky Mouse head. The sopranos were playing some amazing stuff at running tempo at the far back of the formation. Not good staging. You couldn’t hear half of the musicality of the show due to staging/form construction.

OT... Dr Baggs was actually a percussionist in his younger days, primarily a timpanist. Became band director at Bergenfield HS in NJ (was Don Angelica's band director), and then principal at the Roy Brown Middle School. He attended my senior recital in college. I was a percussion major, and Bernie Junior was a very good friend. Bernie and his now wife (and flute major) participated in my recital doing some ancient fife and drum pieces. I invited Dr and Mrs Baggs of course, and they both attended. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeD said:

OT... Dr Baggs was actually a percussionist in his younger days, primarily a timpanist. Became band director at Bergenfield HS in NJ (was Don Angelica's band director), and then principal at the Roy Brown Middle School. He attended my senior recital in college. I was a percussion major, and Bernie Junior was a very good friend. Bernie and his now wife (and flute major) participated in my recital doing some ancient fife and drum pieces. I invited Dr and Mrs Baggs of course, and they both attended. 

What great memories. Dr. Baggs was a good soul.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

What great memories. Dr. Baggs was a good soul.

I spent many a day at their house in Bergen County. Bernie Jr had six sisters, 3 younger and 3 older, so he was outnumbered for sure! Both he and one of his older sisters became DCI brass judges for many years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.