Symphonie Fantastique

22 hours ago, Beckham said:

Looks like Guardians and White Sabers were the two most recent to use it, in 2016. 

http://dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=search&song=Symphonie Fantastique

The White Sabers show felt like a small step back from the previous year, although it got a slightly higher score.

BDB in 1998 appears to have used it as part of a Wizard of Oz show. 

Phantom seems to be the only corp to have made a whole show out of it.

2 hours ago, Continental said:

The times when you know someone is reading DCP and posting videos.

Beat me to it!

On 5/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, Beckham said:

Looks like Guardians and White Sabers were the two most recent to use it, in 2016. 

http://dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=search&song=Symphonie Fantastique

The Wayne NJ Monarchs, a GSC corps, look to be the first, in 1972. They later merged with the Greenwood Lake Lakers to become the King's Regiment. I wrote the percussion book and taught them in 1977 (along with the late great Jack Pratt), and it was our opener that year as well. I recall going to the Julliard music library at Lincoln Center and copying the flute, clarinet and oboe parts. I based the marching bells and xylo book on those voices to some degree.

I saw Phantom play this live in Normal, IL early that year (first show?). Can hear it in my head like it was yesterday.

• Thanks 1

That is Noel Perez.  He marched Bass Drum in 1985-86 and marched snare in 1987-89.  Actually our first competition show was at the Harvard, Illinois Milk Days.  Marcia received a huge milk can for a trophy.  The Bloomington Show was the fourth show of the year (I think) which was a huge improvement over the previous shows. 

Edited by PR4ever

I think when people complain about Bb/F horns sound compared to G bugles ...... and then the current generation gets offended and says "intonation, tone quality, etc etc" ..... 

I look to this 8th place corps barely breaking 90 pts ... and they prove my case for Bugles.  Yes, they have a balance issue.  That low brass is crazy powerful.  But crisp, clear, in tune, ballsy, dark when needed and project for days.  I believe that's 66 or 67 brass.  

Who cares what's better?!?  They're both great.  I think it comes down to the activities identity being lost more than anything.  (for old timers)

I hope some day everyone can stop getting offended and just appreciate what we had .. and what we have.  After this pandemic is over with .... I just hope we have SOMETHING to still appreciate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supersop said:

I think when people complain about Bb/F horns sound compared to G bugles ...... and then the current generation gets offended and says "intonation, tone quality, etc etc" ..... 

Not a musician but have played in 70s, 80s and 2000s. To me the difference is style of play BITD and now plus the instruments are better constructed for tone quality. Have heard both Bb and G at DCA shows and any sound difference could be because of manufacturer and how the corps plays. 1985 would be a few years into the 2v era which was a big improvement over the “modified signaling devices” we had in piston/rotor days as far as keeping tone.