4th of July Parades

Just got an email from my old corps that Towson, MD just cancelled 4th of July parade. This is one of the 5(?) held in the Baltimore area that day. No idea on other ones as think this is the only parade my old corps does that day.

Away from the East Coast parades are not a revenue stream open to DCA Corps.  For decades now, many cities charge the Units a prohibitive fee to march in a parade.

Just curious, what do parades pay way out there ?

Regards,  STLDRMN1 

Edited by stldrmn1
spelling error

On 5/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, stldrmn1 said:

Away from the East Coast parades are not a revenue stream open to DCA Corps.  For decades now, many cities charge the Units a prohibitive fee to march in a parade.

Just curious, what do parades pay way out there ?

Regards,  STLDRMN1 

A corps can earn $3500 and up per parade in the NY metro area. When I was the director of Bush I've been payed as much as $6000 for a parade.

In the past (no idea now) some of the Baltimore area 4th of July parades were $2000 each. Since there are 5(?) that day and they are staggered during the day a corps could make all 5. And possibly make the Havre de Grace parade which was held over the weekend

Edited by JimF-LowBari

i remember hearing in the past it was at least a $10,000 day doing the MD tour

On 5/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i remember hearing in the past it was at least a $10,000 day doing the MD tour

It’s unreal what Baltimore paid per parade . I was shocked . 

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

It’s unreal what Baltimore paid per parade . I was shocked . 

Actually the music groups were sponsored in the parades I was in. The Dundalk parade (remember that trek to start the day?) had loudspeakers that blasted right at street level. So sometimes you could hear “and now sponsored by.....”.

Did you ever see the green alien dancing on the back of a flatbed trailer in the Baltimore area parades? That’s from Mars supermarkets who sponsored a good bit iirc. 

also sponsored in some PA parades but forget details and don’t think I heard amounts. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• 1 month later...

There are normally 5 parades in Baltimore: Dundalk (good thing it was flat, mainly), Towson (Up the hill, make a right, then down the hill), Arbutus (never did it), Catonsville (Pitch Blacktop with the sun at your 4 O'clock!), and Bel Air (never did it). Add in Havre De Grace (That wait is lengthy at the staging areas) and it's an interesting time around the area.

I slightly miss them, but I also don't miss them from my days marching.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, Percussion827 said:

There are normally 5 parades in Baltimore: Dundalk (good thing it was flat, mainly), Towson (Up the hill, make a right, then down the hill), Arbutus (never did it), Catonsville (Pitch Blacktop with the sun at your 4 O'clock!), and Bel Air (never did it). Add in Havre De Grace (That wait is lengthy at the staging areas) and it's an interesting time around the area.

I slightly miss them, but I also don't miss them from my days marching.

Most dreaded words at Havre de Grace “we’re toward the end of the parade”. And had to be there about an hour before parade start regardless of where your place was. That was cuz they closed the streets going into town. Only place I had lunch while the parade was going on as had plenty of time. Not even Winchester, VA is that bad.