DCI Era Medalists - Something New to talk about!!

Corps Bronze Silver Gold Total Medal Count   Era's # Corps to Medal  
  Blue Devils 8 10 19 37   1972-1983 10  
  The Cadets 8 5 10 23   1984-1999 7  
  Santa Clara Vanguard 9 9 7 25   2000-Present 7  
  The Cavaliers 7 5 7 19        
  Phantom Regiment 5 5 2 12        
  Madison Scouts 1 2 2 5        
  Bluecoats 3 2 1 6        
  Carolina Crown 2 3 1 6        
  Star of Indiana 2 1 1 4        
  Kingsmen 1   1 2        
  Blue Stars 1 1   2        
  27th Lancers   1   1        
  Bridgemen 1     1        
  Troopers   1   1        

Totals 48 45 51 144        

It still amazes me that only 14 corps have won a medal in DCI.  Only 14 corps in 48 Seasons!!  Here's your chance to hash it out.

Are there any corps you feel should be on this list who got the shaft? Or shafted themselves??  

If finalist positions were changed to match your opinions, what would the medal counts look like?

Which scoring system did you prefer?

Any other thoughts?  Let's hear it...

• Thanks 1

I guess I'll start.

1975 Muchachos were sitting 2nd heading into Finals .... disqualified for marching overage members.

Suncoast Sound and Spirit of Atlanta were definitely good enough to medal in the mid 80's.

BK and Glassmen were very close in 1999 until Cavies and Scouts surged on Finals night.

SCV probably should have shared Gold in 87 and 88 .... and maybe 89.  Giving PR their first win in 89.

SCV probably should have won outright in 99.  Same for PR in 96.  (funny how I find clear winners on years with TIES and the opposite on years with close battles)

The smaller judging panel and weird scoring system that started in 1988 is probably the worst of all systems.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, supersop said:

SCV probably should have shared Gold in 87 and 88 .... and maybe 89.  Giving PR their first win in 89.

SCV probably should have won outright in 99.  Same for PR in 96.  (funny how I find clear winners on years with TIES and the opposite on years with close battles)

The smaller judging panel and weird scoring system that started in 1988 is probably the worst of all systems.  

Full agreement on all of these points. However the list I could make of changes to the Top 3 would be it's own thread, so I will exhibit some rare self-control and (mostly) only focus on corps 4th and below that should have gotten medals. 

1994 Cavaliers, bronze - Here's a weird one: Phantom was better visually but Cavaliers were better musically. I love Phantom's super-original show (the only DCI show ever to not have any color) but the Cavies had a great show too, and got hosed by the effect judges.

1995 Blue Devils, gold - I know what I just said, but this is still the most egregious screw job I've seen in DCI

1995 Madison Scouts, bronze - Should have taken Musical Effect by at least half a point over every other corps that year. Apologies if any of them are reading this, but 1995 Finals judges: you were on crack.

1999 Cadets, bronze - they were flat out better than the Cavaliers in every area except percussion performance.

2007 Phantom Regiment, bronze - The exact reverse of 1994. As sloppy as Phantom was visually, they were that much better musically than the Cavaliers. Cavaliers should have been 7th musically at Finals. But, it's DCI. Visual accomplishment is always credited better than Musical accomplishment.

2015 Cadets, bronze - Yeah, I know, I'm a Shostakovich homer. Maybe I'm being sentimental because this was the last great Cadets show.

2016 Carolina Crown, gold - *whispers* Relentless was the best show of 2016, sorry not sorry

2019 Carolina Crown, bronze - come on, now. Doesn't music matter AT ALL any more? 5th highest music score OF THE DECADE (and arguably should have been higher).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, supersop said:

Phantom should have won outright in 1996. SCV should have won outright in 1999. Cadets should have won outright in 2000.

1993 is the only year I look at and think, yeah, that probably should have been a tie.

• Thanks 1

Ok when we’re the three ties? 

49 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

For whatever reason, I would've thought there'd be more parity in the early years. 10 medalists in 10 years is still better than 7 medalists in the last 20 years, but still not what I expected.

I guess I look at it the other way around.  More parity, to me, means more medalists = a level playing field where more have a chance to medal.  Unless I read you wrong and you're saying the same thing....

10 corps medalling in a 10 year period is pretty good.  Sadly, 1 champion folded and 2 others died by 1986.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok when we’re the three ties? 

1996 PR and BD

1999 SCV and BD

2000 Cadets and Cavies

Edited by supersop
  • Thanks 1

I am very biased, of course, but 27th Lancers’ medal should have been gold.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1