DCI Era Medalists - Something New to talk about!!

27 minutes ago, supersop said:

1996 PR and BD

1999 SCV and BD

2000 Cadets and Cavies

Thanks I wasn’t following the activity 1993-2002 so missed them all....

The data is what it is, but for some reason Madison with only 5 medals hits me as odd. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer

42 minutes ago, supersop said:

I guess I look at it the other way around.  More parity, to me, means more medalists = a level playing field where more have a chance to medal.  Unless I read you wrong and you're saying the same thing....

10 corps medalling in a 10 year period is pretty good.  Sadly, 1 champion folded and 2 others died by 1986.

No, we're on the same page.

10 corps in 10 years isn't bad - I just expected more. I mean, 30 slots were filled by 10 corps.

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks I wasn’t following the activity 1993-2002 so missed them all....

Dude, you missed some great years. We're all biased by when we started following the activity, so take this for whatever it's worth: you missed the BEST years.

18 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The data is what it is, but for some reason Madison with only 5 medals hits me as odd. 

Considering they finished 4th or 5th 10 times ..... I have to agree with you.

13 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Dude, you missed some great years. We're all biased by when we started following the activity, so take this for whatever it's worth: you missed the BEST years.

Lol well I was kinda busy... 1990-1992 got married, got a (fixer upper) house and was asked to be in council for my church which was hitting some rough times. Something had to give after 1992..... And after doing and following corps since 1974 I was kind of burned out....

2003 saw there was an exhibition show at Gettysburg which is near me. Cadets, Crossmen and local Alumni type corps. Went to it and found I was still interested and ended up doing the Alumni thing for 8 years. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, supersop said:

Suncoast Sound and Spirit of Atlanta were definitely good enough to medal in the mid 80's.

Not sure about the mid-80s, but Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 in fourth place was less than one point behind Blue Devils in first place.

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Phantom should have won outright in 1996. SCV should have won outright in 1999. Cadets should have won outright in 2000.

1993 is the only year I look at and think, yeah, that probably should have been a tie.

I feel the exact opposite. I thought BD was the best corps in 96, BD was the best corps in 99, and Cavaliers were the best corps in 2000. Of the 3, I feel 2000 was the one that could have legitimately been a tie.

Mike Z

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am very biased, of course, but 27th Lancers’ medal should have been gold.

this i believe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not sure about the mid-80s, but Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 in fourth place was less than one point behind Blue Devils in first place.

I'm thinking of 1986 to be precise.  That was a strange year for placement and my opinion on that year has dramatically changed as I've grown grey.

SCS and Spirit swapped finals positions at 5 and 6.  Garfield's show was awesome until the closer .... I thought it was OVER rewarded (especially as the 3-pete defending champ).  Cavies show was good all around but I put them in the same ballpark as Suncoast.  Had Spirit not had a flat Finals performance, I could say the same for them.

I held onto the belief that SCV should have won in 86 for a good 10 years.  I didn't appreciate jazz at the time so it took me until 92 to get into BD's show.  But I didn't come to the conclusion that BD was the best corps until around 95.  SCV was just more my taste.

Edited by supersop