DCI Era Medalists - Something New to talk about!!

what this says is....consistency. BD since 75 has been a machine. SCV has had periods where they were middle of the pack that keep them down lower. Cavies and cadets didn't truly become players til the 80's, giving BD and SCV a 10+ year head start

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

2016 Carolina Crown, gold - *whispers* Relentless was the best show of 2016, sorry not sorry

Hailing from northeast Ohio as I do, it was pretty great on only my second ever Finals attendance, and this time (unlike 2012) in great seats where the sound wasn't horribly distorted, to see the local corps win it all. Total serendipity, since I had arranged to get that ticket well before the season started. That top three was something else. And "Downside Up" was such an entertaining show. I was rooting for it to win.

If only Bluecoats' show hadn't been so influential. "Relentless" was executed so well and is more like what drum corps ought to be, in my opinion, and too often abandoned since. (Not by Crown, exactly, but their three subsequent shows just felt so random.) Early on in the season, someone pointed out that Crown's drill was pretty cramped toward the front, but it's wide open compared by comparison to the staging that so often has been rewarded since.

• Like 1

Medals!?  We didn't get no stink'in medals.  WTH!

No beef with any of the placements except to say I believe we would have placed higher than 3rd in 1974 had our corps been larger.

So odd to see 2-7 finished in the top three only once during the DCI era.  Best corps to have never won DCI.

I liked the Tic system way better.  Kept the Broadway people in check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So odd to see 2-7 finished in the top three only once during the DCI era.  Best corps to have never won DCI.

IMO certainly in that era, anyway. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, hostrauser said:

Full agreement on all of these points. However the list I could make of changes to the Top 3 would be it's own thread, so I will exhibit some rare self-control and (mostly) only focus on corps 4th and below that should have gotten medals. 

1994 Cavaliers, bronze - Here's a weird one: Phantom was better visually but Cavaliers were better musically. I love Phantom's super-original show (the only DCI show ever to not have any color) but the Cavies had a great show too, and got hosed by the effect judges.

1995 Blue Devils, gold - I know what I just said, but this is still the most egregious screw job I've seen in DCI

1995 Madison Scouts, bronze - Should have taken Musical Effect by at least half a point over every other corps that year. Apologies if any of them are reading this, but 1995 Finals judges: you were on crack.

1999 Cadets, bronze - they were flat out better than the Cavaliers in every area except percussion performance.

2007 Phantom Regiment, bronze - The exact reverse of 1994. As sloppy as Phantom was visually, they were that much better musically than the Cavaliers. Cavaliers should have been 7th musically at Finals. But, it's DCI. Visual accomplishment is always credited better than Musical accomplishment.

2015 Cadets, bronze - Yeah, I know, I'm a Shostakovich homer. Maybe I'm being sentimental because this was the last great Cadets show.

2016 Carolina Crown, gold - *whispers* Relentless was the best show of 2016, sorry not sorry

2019 Carolina Crown, bronze - come on, now. Doesn't music matter AT ALL any more? 5th highest music score OF THE DECADE (and arguably should have been higher).

I agree with you on much of this. 

1994: Loved Phantom and did not have a problem with them in 3rd, but Cavaliers were amazing. 

1995: I can go with you on this too. I thought Cadets would have had the show to win if they cleaned visual, but they were a visual mess until the closer. Great music and all, and their closer was my favorite patriotic ending ever; and Cavaliers were not that good in brass. BD was the only corps to have excellent visual -- and clean visual -- along with killer music. My only problem with BD in 1995 was GE. The show just did not grab me. Cavaliers and Cadets, at least to me, had vastly better GE. In the end I was fine with placing in 95.

1995: Also relating to Madison in 1995 I agree. How they did not win Music GE is a head scratch-er. As far as overall placement I think 4th was correct. Great show! 

1999 Cadets were flat-out marching beats. Solid brass and drums. Killer demand. Lovely ballad. 

2007: My initial thought for this year was that Bluecoats had a shot to medal. They were running 4th most of the season, but they never cleaned the feet nor did they build on some of the wonder GE in their Criminal show. Kind of an interesting side note: Bluecoats actually won high brass at Quarterfinals in 2007. Phantom Regiment came on like gangbusters at the end of the season and Cavaliers had real issues musically. I could have seen Phantom 3rd. Of course, I also think The Cadets were the best corps on the field that summer, but narration and other issues let BD get them in the end. Cadets actually beat everyone at the Stanford show just the week prior to Finals in Pasadena. 

2015: I had Cadets in 3rd, but I was not surprised Bloo caught them at Finals. Cadets made many mistakes that summer from a design standpoint. Most of us are aware of that. No need to rehash all the poor decisions. It was not their best design...BUT Musically...WHAT A SHOW! That corps was talented and with a better product could have won. And you are right, it was the last we saw of the old, great Cadets. 

2016: I love the Bluecoats and was so glad they finally got a title. I feel it was deserved, and DSU is a fantastic show. But I can see where you are coming from. After the Massillon show that year 2 of my buddies felt strongly that Crown had the best show on the field. Relentless is a fantastic show top to bottom. Their brass were unreal. With a slightly stronger ending I think they may have taken the title. And I did have them above BD. I like BD 2016, but Carolina and Bloo were both better in my book.

2019: I did have Carolina in 3rd as well over SCV. Both SCV and Crown suffered from show design issues. SCV had better percussion - but not by that much, and Crown had better brass. Crown won total music due to their overall music scores, and I actually think Crown marched a better Finals performance. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

1980 should have been

27th
BD
Spirit
Bridgemen

OUCH!  Taking away Bridgemen's only medal ... and giving Spirit (what would be) their only medal?

That's a tough call.  I agree that 27th had an argument.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supersop said:

OUCH!  Taking away Bridgemen's only medal ... and giving Spirit (what would be) their only medal?

That's a tough call.  I agree that 27th had an argument.  

Spirit was strong at finals, but the only time they placed ahead of Bridgemen In 1980 was at prelims. I believe they placed behind Phantom and Madison most of the season too.  I watched finals in the comfort of my home on PBS. I did feel that 27th should have won that night but neither 27th or BD had their best show at finals. I had seen Blue Devils at CYO Nationals about a week earlier which some believed was BD’s best show of the season. Lots of folks thought 27th’s best show was at DCI East. That being said, I watched finals with some astute friends, including one who rarely gets a prediction wrong And was sure it would have been the Bridgemen’s night. As I look back now, if Spirit was within a point of first place after everything that happened that season with Jim Ott’s tragic death, you have to wonder what would have happened if things had been different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

1980 should have been

27th
BD
Spirit
Bridgemen

Not a Concord honk whatsoever, and I loved 2-7, but to knock off the reigning champs you need to be decidedly better.  I didn't see that, and I don't understand why so many people feel as you do.  And Spirit over Bayonne......!?  Spirit's horn line soared that night but Bayonne's drum line that year was one for the ages.  I always believed Bayonne's Color Guard held them back from placing higher during their prime.