Seven Steps to Drum Corps Restart

7 STEPS TO DRUM CORPS RESTART
When it's time ...

1. Fold DCI and DCA, form one new national organization that represents everybody, senior and junior corps.
2. The mission statement is to facilitate the formation of as many new corps as possible.
3. Make electronics illegal, to make it cheaper and easier to start new corps. Reduce show length to 9 minutes with a mandatory concert number to make it easier for new corps to compete immediately
4. Divide the country into 8 regions. No corps competes outside their region until finals week. The goal is to get more corps on the field, by making it cheaper and easier for everyone to get into the game.
5. Reduce all corps appearance fees, and all corps membership dues -- focus on creating as many local/regional drum corps shows as possible, and incentives for local sponsors to hold a show.
6. Every show will have senior and junior corps competing, with full retreat at the end for the fans.
7. Start a circuit of judged winter concerts (on stage, no drill), so the competitive experience of the activity is not so focused only on the summer.

The above is all possibly silly nonsense, and maybe even irrelevant given the state of the covid-19 crisis. But, if I had a vote, the activity would focus on growth, not art or music technology, for the next few years.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

You note that it would save corps by cutting the show time down to nine minutes and requiring a concert number.

But how much is lost by requiring corps to do a retreat?

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of which, is there any Youtube video of corps doing a full retreat at a show? I think many fans nowadays have no idea what that means.

33 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wasn’t this kinda how things were before DCI and the pageantry leeches dismantled it all? 

And most things were a hot mess with corps not having much to say about their own pathways. As far as the pageantry leeches, Who exactly do you mean ?  Seems that they were the revered icons which were the ones who decided the pathway to exactly what you see today, the direction that was talked about way back then and how so many things including how people needed to think for the survival of the activity?

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

And most things were a hot mess with corps not having much to say about their own pathways. As far as the pageantry leeches, Who exactly do you mean ? The revered icons which were the ones who decided the pathway to exactly what you see today, the direction that was talked about way back then and how so many things including how people needed to think for the survival of the activity?

So long as BD takes the big toy home, I don’t much care. What you or I think doesn’t matter one teensy bit. Ta-ta! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

So long as BD takes the big toy home, I don’t much care. What you or I think doesn’t matter one teensy bit. Ta-ta! 

BD wins like they do because they learned how that works. No matter what the rules are or how the activity changes they just know how to do it. THAT will not change until they themselves decide they had enough OR others take over who do not follow the BD formula.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Bwahahah.  You're my favorite poster here.

Remember, the very people revered from your early times? Many are the same who were part of even what you may have been a part of. Remember you have no one to thank for anything today without thanking those who came before..Long before. Those are the people.

For me, thankfully they had in sight and vision and if not for them there may not even be an activity today

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1