Seven Steps to Drum Corps Restart

17 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Remember, the very people revered from your early times? Many are the same who were part of even what you may have been a part of. Remember you have no one to thank for anything today without thanking those who came before..Long before. Those are the people.

For me, thankfully they had in sight and vision and if not for them there may not even be an activity today

I blame it all on my friend Ron Nankervis.  He knew better!!!

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Wasn’t this kinda how things were before DCI and the pageantry leeches dismantled it all? 

I figured they’d crap on you for this, but it’s true.  Some have misinterpreted your phrase “pageantry leeches”.  Not me.  I know exactly in which you are referring.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

save money? easy cut spring training in half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I figured they’d crap on you for this, but it’s true.  Some have misinterpreted your phrase “pageantry leeches”.  Not me.  I know exactly in which you are referring.  

Wanna explain?😃 Maybe I misunderstood also

If so my sincere apologies to Poppy, although i stand by my statement even if it didn't apply..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

7 hours ago, drumlaw80 said:
7 STEPS TO DRUM CORPS RESTART

Some of my random thoughts on your post...(bored atm)

"1. Fold DCI and DCA, form one new national organization that represents everybody, senior and junior corps."

I don't look at this as an "age" issue, but more of a full-time versus part-time drum corps experience respectively. 

"2. The mission statement is to facilitate the formation of as many new corps as possible."

This is a noble idea, but isn't Sound Sport supposed to aid with this as a stepping stone to this end.  The mission statement says "SoundSport® seeks to create a world class stage to enable a less time intensive, affordable, inclusive and enjoyable ensemble music making experience worldwide."

"3. Make electronics illegal, to make it cheaper and easier to start new corps. Reduce show length to 9 minutes with a mandatory concert number to make it easier for new corps to compete immediately"

I agree electronics are very expensive no doubt, but I think that ship has already sailed on trying to make them illegal at this point. The genie is already out of the bottle. I'm also not sure how a 9 minute performance is going to help an operating budget. I was personally never a fan of concert numbers and those that want something like that can stay for an encore performance.  

"4. Divide the country into 8 regions. No corps competes outside their region until finals week. The goal is to get more corps on the field, by making it cheaper and easier for everyone to get into the game."

This does not make sense given the "geographic" location of many the corps these days.  Besides, there is already a regional division called "open" class.

"5. Reduce all corps appearance fees, and all corps membership dues -- focus on creating as many local/regional drum corps shows as possible, and incentives for local sponsors to hold a show."

I say have EQUITABLE distribution of performance fees instead. 

"6. Every show will have senior and junior corps competing, with full retreat at the end for the fans."

As a performer during the days of a full- retreat, what is so wonderful about that? Especially when we already know that x or y corps are not even in the same performance tier.  The real prize is on finals night.

"7. Start a circuit of judged winter concerts (on stage, no drill), so the competitive experience of the activity is not so focused only on the summer."

You should check out this.

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

Some of my random thoughts on your post...(bored atm)

"1. Fold DCI and DCA, form one new national organization that represents everybody, senior and junior corps."

I don't look at this as an "age" issue, but more of a full-time versus part-time drum corps experience respectively. 

"2. The mission statement is to facilitate the formation of as many new corps as possible."

This is a noble idea, but isn't Sound Sport supposed to aid with this as a stepping stone to this end.  The mission statement says "SoundSport® seeks to create a world class stage to enable a less time intensive, affordable, inclusive and enjoyable ensemble music making experience worldwide."

"3. Make electronics illegal, to make it cheaper and easier to start new corps. Reduce show length to 9 minutes with a mandatory concert number to make it easier for new corps to compete immediately"

I agree electronics are very expensive no doubt, but I think that ship has already sailed on trying to make them illegal at this point. The genie is already out of the bottle. I'm also not sure how a 9 minute performance is going to help an operating budget. I was personally never a fan of concert numbers and those that want something like that can stay for an encore performance.  

"4. Divide the country into 8 regions. No corps competes outside their region until finals week. The goal is to get more corps on the field, by making it cheaper and easier for everyone to get into the game."

This does not make sense given the "geographic" location of many the corps these days.  Besides, there is already a regional division called "open" class.

"5. Reduce all corps appearance fees, and all corps membership dues -- focus on creating as many local/regional drum corps shows as possible, and incentives for local sponsors to hold a show."

I say have EQUITABLE distribution of performance fees instead. 

"6. Every show will have senior and junior corps competing, with full retreat at the end for the fans."

As a performer during the days of a full- retreat, what is so wonderful about that? Especially when we already know that x or y corps are not even in the same performance tier.  The real prize is on finals night.

"7. Start a circuit of judged winter concerts (on stage, no drill), so the competitive experience of the activity is not so focused only on the summer."

You should check out this.

For once...I agree with everything you said. 

Now I feel like I need to contemplate my life and figure out where I took this turn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Your plan is as good as any other plan I’ve seen. DCI and DCA have just dropped off the planet as far as any thoughts for reopening. 

Agreed. At least someone is throwing ideas out there. Everything from drum corps to baseball to going to work every day will have to change and adapt, even if means a step backwards in some people's eyes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Agreed. At least someone is throwing ideas out there. Everything from drum corps to baseball to going to work every day will have to change and adapt, even if means a step backwards in some people's eyes. 

With 36 million people unemployed,  many small businesses shuttered forever, if anyone thinks a switch is going to be flipped “on” and everything is going to be exactly the same...well, you need to pull your head out from up there. 

• Like 8