Seven Steps to Drum Corps Restart

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

however, while good to disucss, there's two universal truths that continue to be ignored:

outside of posting recaps, no outcry online has ever changed the minds of the powers that be.

If that were true:

- Oregon Crusaders would have fielded in 2019.

- Fred Morrison would still be chairman of the DCI BOD.

- Cadets administrative roster would look quite different.

despite the unfounded claims, electronics is not a huge cost driver. the  hands down biggest costs for a drum corps tour are food, feul, housing and insurance.

Then why is it so expensive to keep a corps alive through a shutdown, when they no longer require any of those things?

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Then why is it so expensive to keep a corps alive through a shutdown, when they no longer require any of those things?

Is there a chance many of the corps still have outstanding bills from last season and up to the cancellation of this season?.  Maybe bills that go back two or more years.  And don't forget mortgages and long term staff contracts that haven't ended yet.  I believe Boston had five year contracts with their A Team that ends at the close of next years season.

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The full retreat used to be something the Fans looked forward to.  As members, we had fun as well.  I remember a show where we filed onto the field at retreat using triple interval so our 50-member file would be longer than Phantom; & everyone would be waiting for us to get set before scores were announced.  One must have their small victories.

DCI has posted the award ceremony for most years on Youtube (note DCI is the copyright holder & they are the ones posting, so there should be no 'illegal video issues)

Oh!!!  I see you Paula Beard and your beautiful long blonde hair.  To this day I bet you still don't realize how many hearts you broke. 

I see you taught their rife line Kingsmen's parade rest.  Nice.

sniff....

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Didn't a full retreat used to include every corps leaving the field in reverse order, and often playing a little something as they did so, concluding with the last corps being told, "The field is yours?" before they played their encore?

I recall one corps picked to play all onto the field, leaving in reverse order of finish, but not playing while leaving the field.  

But I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

54 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I recall one corps picked to play all onto the field, leaving in reverse order of finish, but not playing while leaving the field.  

Based on the responses here, I began to wonder if I imagined it (just like I and many other people imagined a false ending for Raiders of the Lost Ark), since I had attended so few shows before full retreats were no longer done, but here, for instance, is a video of the 1987 DCI Canada finals. If you listen closely at about 2:17, after the final scores have been given, you can hear the Ventures announced. They were the lowest-scoring corps in that finals, and then you can see and hear them parade across the front of the field playing "If My Friends Could See Me Now", which Drum Corps Xperience says was their closer that year.

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

If that were true:

- Oregon Crusaders would have fielded in 2019.

- Fred Morrison would still be chairman of the DCI BOD.

- Cadets administrative roster would look quite different.

doubtful on Oregon. the Mike Stevens story came out and kids had already decided not to go back based on their summer in 18.

Fred again got booted because of a newspaper article, not internet screaming. if so when the Moody story broke here several years before something would have been done.

Cadets administrative staff changes had everything to do with DCI saying "do this or no tour"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

doubtful on Oregon. the Mike Stevens story came out and kids had already decided not to go back based on their summer in 18.

Fred again got booted because of a newspaper article, not internet screaming. if so when the Moody story broke here several years before something would have been done.

Cadets administrative staff changes had everything to do with DCI saying "do this or no tour"

All of these resulted from (per your words) "outcry online".  Where did 99% of us see those news articles?  Online.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I remember playing Corps on a time or two.  We had a song that was in a kind of weird meter that we would use.  Was fun to watch some of the other Corps members try to keep in step.

I know today some members don't like retreats, but you can make them fun if you want.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

well that's settled then.

now that everything has been figured out, predictions for 2021 placements?

Some Corps will place higher than they did in 2019.

Some Corps will place lower than they did in 2019.

Some Corps will place the same as they did in 2019.

and unfortunately, some Corps from 2019 will not field in 2021.