Bells have always been part of Drum and Bugle Corps.  Some of the top corps today started off as Drum and Bell Corps.  Blue Devils are an example and I think SCV too.  They belong in the activity and compliment the overall sound.

But something’s gone wrong.  Really wrong.  Pits have become way-WAY too large and are too dominant in the mix.  Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them.

Less is more. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

17 minutes ago, Continental said:

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

Still my favorite drum break to this day.... 

27 minutes ago, Lance said:

Thought this might be some sort of rage thread against Will Pitts.  Phew. 

49 minutes ago, Continental said:

I only play a "percussionist" on Drum Corps Internet message boards, but I believe the intent was to spread the sound waves coming of keys.

(yeah, I know).

14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I only play a "percussionist" on Drum Corps Internet message boards, but I believe the intent was to spread the sound waves coming of keys.

(yeah, I know).

What was I thinking....we now have microphones and speakers to do that.

9 hours ago, Continental said:

What was I thinking....we now have microphones and speakers to do that.

But that just causes more unbalance! We must be rid of them! Ban all microphones, speakers, crotales, marimbas, vibes, synthesizers, gongs, and concert bass drums! If it can't be marched on the field we must be rid of it! 

🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1