34 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's relevant to your biases and how in tune you are with the current generation who actually participate in DCI. 

None of the things you listed are what the younger generation want or care about. 

Oh, I see.  Only the "current generation" are allowed to have an opinion on the activity as it is today?   I've got news for you........

And what's your definition of "participation in DCI mean"?  Does it mean giving money because I do that too (Pacific Crest). 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Oh, I see.  Only the "current generation" are allowed to have an opinion on the activity as it is today?   I've got news for you........

And what's your definition of "participation in DCI mean"?  Does it mean giving money because I do that too (Pacific Crest). 

You are free to have an opinion. You are not free from criticism from said opinion. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why do the call it the pit when it’s right out in front of the field?

Maybe it comes from stage shows where the musicians are normally down in front of the stage.

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Where I sit is fine.  Reduce the size of Pits or move them back 53.3 yards.

name one time DCI changed back in time.

there's your answer on what to expect. 

You can't argue opinions. One's opinion is just that, a subjective viewpoint. Everybody gets to have one. There are fact-based, informed opinions and there are emotion-driven opinions, and then there are the majority and minority opinions. Most opinions are mutts, a breed made up of a blend of all these things. Mutts are good for the gene pool. (See "hybrid vigor" in any High School Biology textbook.)

Here's another take on the subject at hand, written 9 years ago:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2011/08/inside-the-arc-the-pit-that-ate-drum-corps/

To be honest, I'm not sure I agree with my younger self, but some here may find this rave amusing. (And feel free to spare me the "OK, Boomer" stuff. Some things change and some remain. All existence is a mighty struggle between inertia and entropy. That's life and as we all know, "Drum Corps is Life".)

4 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why do the call it the pit when it’s right out in front of the field?

“The Pit” is more a nickname. It is also referred to as the front ensemble. 

Frankly, pit writing today IMHO is just too much and adds too little.  Seriously you don't need 10 marimbas when you are amplified.  The whole saying less is more should be taken to heart.  Silence in music adds to it not lessons it.  I know I sound like an old fart but having 32nd note runs for absolutely no musical reason other than filler is beyond lameness anymore.  Ya, old school drum corps sounded louder because they had something called dynamic contrast.   Not constantly dialed up to 8+ the entire show with rimshots ever other measure like it's a competition to see who can do more.  Off soapbox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Frankly, pit writing today IMHO is just too much and adds too little.  Seriously you don't need 10 marimbas when you are amplified.  The whole saying less is more should be taken to heart.  Silence in music adds to it not lessons it.  I know I sound like an old fart but having 32nd note runs for absolutely no musical reason other than filler is beyond lameness anymore.  Ya, old school drum corps sounded louder because they had something called dynamic contrast.   Not constantly dialed up to 8+ the entire show with rimshots ever other measure like it's a competition to see who can do more.  Off soapbox.

Too much but adds to little? What? I think the FRONT ENSEMBLE adds a great deal to today's drum corp sound. They are not the :pit. They are the front ensemble of very talented musicians.

• Like 4