9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Too much but adds to little? What? I think the FRONT ENSEMBLE adds a great deal to today's drum corp sound. They are not the :pit. They are the front ensemble of very talented musicians.

Who said they weren't talented?  Pit, front ensemble....whatever.  Pit isn't a slur on them and frankly a more precise term.

10 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Who said they weren't talented?  Pit, front ensemble....whatever.  Pit isn't a slur on them and frankly a more precise term.

You have your opinion about "pits" and I have mine. No hard feelings...whatever

Edited by DFA1970

31 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Too much but adds to little? What? I think the FRONT ENSEMBLE adds a great deal to today's drum corp sound. They are not the :pit. They are the front ensemble of very talented musicians.

Can't have too many brass power chords with chromatic runs by the pit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Can't have too many brass power chords with chromatic runs by the pit

The "pit" mics the brass that make them seem loud. And they are loud...mics or not. My point is the front ensemble plays an important part of today's sound drumcorp.

• Like 2

I’m someone who also believes the pit component has become too dominant. I am also old (so hate me).  These days, I enjoy DCI almost entirely through media and live broadcasts.  With multi-cam and a variety of images from different angles, plus close-ups, these performances are much different. In a good way, to me.

I am most interested in enjoying young adults performing their “craft’” to the best of their ability. Doesn’t matter to me what instrument they play, or guard work they display.  I need to see them up close, and to share their dedication and joy for those moments. The faces, the beads of sweat, the intensity, the smiles at conclusion.

To anyone disillusioned by changes to DCI, I say try looking at it from a different perspective. There’s great stuff going on you’ll never see, or hear,  from the bleachers.

I guess it really is a Dino thing.

• Like 2

Dino here (drum corps since 1963)...IMO pits are as integral to modern drum corps as brass and battery. I love their contribution to the totality of the music being performed, especially since A&E have been implemented. 

My guess is the term “pit” was coined as back when they started they were in the same location as pit orchestras for musicals.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Frankly, pit writing today IMHO is just too much and adds too little.  Seriously you don't need 10 marimbas when you are amplified.  The whole saying less is more should be taken to heart.  Silence in music adds to it not lessons it.  I know I sound like an old fart but having 32nd note runs for absolutely no musical reason other than filler is beyond lameness anymore.  Ya, old school drum corps sounded louder because they had something called dynamic contrast.   Not constantly dialed up to 8+ the entire show with rimshots ever other measure like it's a competition to see who can do more.  Off soapbox.

Adam Tan would disagree with ya 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Adam Tan would disagree with ya 

Shocker.

Old school:

New school: