21 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I knew I liked you, but the "Hook'em" thing.........UT?

Haha! I am a fan of the football team. But I generally cheer for all college football teams. I just cheer harder when UT is on the field. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You know that we are angry when this topic has 8 pages of what....pits. This point in the season the brand new start of drum-corp 2020. But there is none in 2020. So the next topic is War on Color Guard....to much color in the guard? So what the H E double hockey sticks to we do? I really wish there was an online library of drum corp shows  of the past we can watch over the summer of any decade. All we have us YouTube. Oh well.

Tune into next week's episode of  - "When Band Geeks Fight: Color Guard Edition"

On 5/19/2020 at 3:07 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Back when I marched we would have considered it an insult to suggest that we needed a synth/amp  to back us up.   

You make it sound as though synths are not part of the overall music being presented. That, IMO, is a mistake. They are as integral to the music as any voice today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

100% with you.

The people who say the front ensemble is supposed to be the accompaniment are honestly funny to me. It's like insulting but also just hilariously ignorant. 

Mod hat here...

Please refrain from making comments on other posters. Feel free to discuss the topic, but not the posters themselves. 

• Thanks 5

21 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Blue Knights ‘08 had some fantastic front ensemble writing. It had some color, understatement and musicality. I think the feature was Debussy or Ravel. Not sure, but it drew me in. Anyone know the arranger and whether they’re still writing?

I freaking love that show. The contra peddletone at the start of the show grabbed my attention right away. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:52 AM, Mello Dude said:

Frankly, pit writing today IMHO is just too much and adds too little.  Seriously you don't need 10 marimbas when you are amplified. 

Ya, old school drum corps sounded louder because they had something called dynamic contrast.   

Funny (in an ironic way). I thought part of the argument for amps was it would decrease the number of marimbas needed. Idea was they would not have 2 people playing same part to be heard. 

And dynamics BITD? That’s the old fashioned thinking of working with the shortcomings you had. Now appears thought is use amps instead of natural talent

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, Lance said:

Thought this might be some sort of rage thread against Will Pitts.  Phew. 

Or peach pits

I think one of the more important topics of conversations is how MIT robotic dogs can somehow be programmed to act as Drum Majors.  

Imagine the precision of their robotic commands, the ability to create inventive salutes and their sensory perception when people are not following their dots.