8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

thanks for coming

Please understand, I don't have a problem with the pit.  In fact, I played in the Pit for part of my freshman year at UW-Whitewater. Proof even exists in the 1982-83 UW-Whitewater yearbook. My issue is that they have become overkill.  It is now "Pit with drum and bugle accompaniment." 

That is my issue.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Please understand, I don't have a problem with the pit.  In fact, I played in the Pit for part of my freshman year at UW-Whitewater. Proof even exists in the 1982-83 UW-Whitewater yearbook. My issue is that they have become overkill.  It is now "Pit with drum and bugle accompaniment." 

That is my issue.

No problem. But keep in mind your thinking is not that of a 18-21 year old. Welcome to the new era of modern Drum corp.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

No problem. But keep in mind your thinking is not that of a 18-21 year old. Welcome to the new era of modern Drum corp.

I understand that. I have written shows that needed a solid pit and had students that could only participate in the pit due to physical limitations.

Let me put it another way. There is a real issue when a show has to be cancelled, or at least not scored because a little bit of rain. When you are so heavily dependent on the pit that a show can't be judged due to a little bit of rain, you are weakening the activity as a whole.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

That is my issue.

and I disagree entirely. sure, sometimes there is too much. sometimes there's too much props. sometimes the hornline never lets the percussion have a moment. sometimes the battery never gives anyone else a chance. sometimes the visual package revolves entirely around the guard.

notice the word sometimes. thats how it goes for everything in the current design trends.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I understand that. I have written shows that needed a solid pit and had students that could only participate in the pit due to physical limitations.

Let me put it another way. There is a real issue when a show has to be cancelled, or at least not scored because a little bit of rain. When you are so heavily dependent on the pit that a show can't be judged due to a little bit of rain, you are weakening the activity as a whole.

most show cancellations now happen more because of the visual than the front ensemble.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

and I disagree entirely. sure, sometimes there is too much. sometimes there's too much props. sometimes the hornline never lets the percussion have a moment. sometimes the battery never gives anyone else a chance. sometimes the visual package revolves entirely around the guard.

notice the word sometimes. thats how it goes for everything in the current design trends.

"Sometimes" goes away and becomes "all" when a "FULL" show is cancelled or not scored due to a little bit of rain.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

most show cancellations now happen more because of the visual than the front ensemble.

I tend to disagree.  Last year, I was at North Texas and watched the wind do "Movement/Damage" to several props.  Yet the entire show was scored.  Risking electronics damage due to rain is far more prevalent than rain damage to props.  The only "Props" issue was the weight of props in Philly last year.  These days, shows on natural grass are the issue for props and not rain damaging the props.  Most corps make it clear that they prefer rehearsal sites with turf for that very reason.  I have hosted several corps over the past few years and that is always high on their request list.

Safety is a fair concern regarding props.  Risk of climbing wet props is high and I will concede that.  However, there appears to be far more concern about the $ lost due to damaged computers than props that are more repairable.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, Jeff Ream said:

uh yeah. not so much. 

This has to make your list of DAP for the DAF Pod.

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

That is my issue.

I am an even older corps guy looking at your time at UW above; I was in college a decade before that. Personally I love the contribution of the pit. I don't find it overkill. But, we each have our own opinions.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

No problem. But keep in mind your thinking is not that of a 18-21 year old. Welcome to the new era of modern drum corps.

I sincerely doubt there ever were many (or even a few) 18-21 year olds clamoring for pits or for larger pits.

Edited by N.E. Brigand