Recommended Posts

Bells have always been part of Drum and Bugle Corps.  Some of the top corps today started off as Drum and Bell Corps.  Blue Devils are an example and I think SCV too.  They belong in the activity and compliment the overall sound.

But something’s gone wrong.  Really wrong.  Pits have become way-WAY too large and are too dominant in the mix.  Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them.

Less is more. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Continental said:

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

 

Still my favorite drum break to this day.... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this might be some sort of rage thread against Will Pitts.  Phew. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lance said:

Thought this might be some sort of rage thread against Will Pitts.  Phew. 

 

 

49 minutes ago, Continental said:

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

 

I only play a "percussionist" on Drum Corps Internet message boards, but I believe the intent was to spread the sound waves coming of keys.

(yeah, I know).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

 

I only play a "percussionist" on Drum Corps Internet message boards, but I believe the intent was to spread the sound waves coming of keys.

(yeah, I know).

What was I thinking....we now have microphones and speakers to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lance said:

Thought this might be some sort of rage thread against Will Pitts.  Phew. 

 

But it's not too late!

o8wwwyxhfuk31.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

But it's not too late!

o8wwwyxhfuk31.jpg

I saw an interview somewhere of the models & photographer.  Was shot in Italy methinks.  Was real hard for the "girlfriend" to keep a straight face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Continental said:

What was I thinking....we now have microphones and speakers to do that.

But that just causes more unbalance! We must be rid of them! Ban all microphones, speakers, crotales, marimbas, vibes, synthesizers, gongs, and concert bass drums! If it can't be marched on the field we must be rid of it! 

🙄🙄🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.