2 hours ago, Continental said:

I think one of the more important topics of conversations is how MIT robotic dogs can somehow be programmed to act as Drum Majors.  

Imagine the precision of their robotic commands, the ability to create inventive salutes and their sensory perception when people are not following their dots.    

Oh, no! Drum Corps is going to the dogs, and headless ones at that!

How does one "clean up" after one of them? With a robotic dog-walker?

On 5/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, Continental said:

I have an actual pit question.  

Looking at early videos, I noticed that there was a lot more hand waving going on over instruments like Crotales (see Vanguard video below at the 00:10 mark).

I'm not a percussionist so I'll ask - did this actually do something to the sound or was it more for show?  It's not something you see anymore.   

I marched this show which had the hornline on the front sideline at the start and end of drum solo. I was a few steps away from the bells at the beginning (and end, since we had grounded the horns to do all the body movement) and you could hear the vibrato produced during the hand wave. The bell player went on to become an Emmy award winning TV director & Producer and the tymp player is the incomparable Martha who played tymps for SCV 84-85-86-87. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Continental said:

I think one of the more important topics of conversations is how MIT robotic dogs can somehow be programmed to act as Drum Majors.  

Imagine the precision of their robotic commands, the ability to create inventive salutes and their sensory perception when people are not following their dots.    

Big question is do they have to go out at 4am and then “forget” to come back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

I marched this show which had the hornline on the front sideline at the start and end of drum solo. I was a few steps away from the bells at the beginning (and end, since we had grounded the horns to do all the body movement) and you could hear the vibrato produced during the hand wave. The bell player went on to become an Emmy award winning TV director & Producer and the tymp player is the incomparable Martha who played tymps for SCV 84-85-86-87. 

Thank you - It's nice to hear about the effect from someone who marched that year.

One question -  how the heck did anyone who marched SCV that year keep it together during that emotional push in The Tender Land...one of the all time greatest endings. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ironlips said:

Oh, no! Drum Corps is going to the dogs, and headless ones at that!

How does one "clean up" after one of them? With a robotic dog-walker?

Well, if they poop steel nuts and bolts, maybe a magnet can pick it up!   

22 hours ago, Continental said:

Man...when skynet comes online in a few months...we are so boned.

I'm sure it has already been said many times and I am probably repeating the comments of many.

To be sure, THIS IS WAR! 

The Pits are the PITS!! 

They have become OVERKILL!!!

Most shows have a significant portion of their show as something VIRTUAL!!!!

What happened to this being "MARCHING ARTS"?!?!?!?

I am prepared to suffer the SLINGS AND ARROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:peek:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm sure it has already been said many times and I am probably repeating the comments of many.

To be sure, THIS IS WAR! 

The Pits are the PITS!! 

They have become OVERKILL!!!

Most shows have a significant portion of their show as something VIRTUAL!!!!

What happened to this being "MARCHING ARTS"?!?!?!?

I am prepared to suffer the SLINGS AND ARROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:peek:

thanks for coming