On 5/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, Cappybara said:

The people who say the front ensemble is supposed to be the accompaniment are honestly funny to me. It's like insulting but also just hilariously ignorant. 

Why? Nothing wrong with being an accompanist. People get paid to do that!

41 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Why? Nothing wrong with being an accompanist. People get paid to do that!

Nothing at all, if that is what the job entailed. In the case of the pit in marching/music, it is as integral to the music being presented as any of the instruments being played. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm sure it has already been said many times and I am probably repeating the comments of many.

To be sure, THIS IS WAR! 

The Pits are the PITS!! 

They have become OVERKILL!!!

Most shows have a significant portion of their show as something VIRTUAL!!!!

What happened to this being "MARCHING ARTS"?!?!?!?

I am prepared to suffer the SLINGS AND ARROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:peek:

I could not agree with you more and have come to the conclusion (anecdotally and Mike D. notwithstanding 🙂) it's a generational thing.

53 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Nothing at all, if that is what the job entailed. In the case of the pit in marching/music, it is as integral to the music being presented as any of the instruments being played. 

Agree even if as a horn sound lover I cringe saying it. Just another way changes in equipment and arranging have changed the sound and the activity. 

signed: guy who like MikeD marched without any bells at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

This man was probably the best-known lieder singer of the past century. And even the first paragraph of his Wikipedia entry mentions two of his regular accompanists (one of whom is playing here). They played an integral role while remaining in a supporting role. So if someone believes that's the role that front ensembles ought to play in drum corps, it's not an insult. 

The company I work for three times in the past decade collaborated with a major, internationally respected symphony orchestra for an evening of theater and music. Among the repertoire that orchestra performed in those projects was John Adams's Shaker Loops (1978/1983) and Arvo Pärt's Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten (1977), both of which I think would fairly be described as part of the modern canon of orchestral works, by two of the greatest living composers.

Shaker Loops, original composed for a septet, in its revised version is written for an all-string orchestra.

Cantus is written for an all-string orchestra plus one percussionist on one chime.

Nobody complains that orchestras have "moved on" or "evolved" from works like these that don't include woodwinds, brass, or (most) percussion.

Can  you imagine if a drum corps was as up-to-date, as hip, as with it as that orchestra and played a show without any pit at all?

Here's Cantus, for those who don't know it:

(Gotta love the nifty audio trick Pärt uses at the end of Cantus.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:37 PM, Old Corps Guy said:

"Sometimes" goes away and becomes "all" when a "FULL" show is cancelled or not scored due to a little bit of rain.

More shows cancelled because of unsafe marching conditions anymore than electronics 

On 5/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, Old Corps Guy said:

I tend to disagree.  Last year, I was at North Texas and watched the wind do "Movement/Damage" to several props.  Yet the entire show was scored.  Risking electronics damage due to rain is far more prevalent than rain damage to props.  The only "Props" issue was the weight of props in Philly last year.  These days, shows on natural grass are the issue for props and not rain damaging the props.  Most corps make it clear that they prefer rehearsal sites with turf for that very reason.  I have hosted several corps over the past few years and that is always high on their request list.

Safety is a fair concern regarding props.  Risk of climbing wet props is high and I will concede that.  However, there appears to be far more concern about the $ lost due to damaged computers than props that are more repairable.

Rain on props kills shows faster than on the front ensemble as well as weather related damage to the field surface. 

On 5/26/2020 at 4:51 PM, Jeffe77 said:

This has to make your list of DAP for the DAF Pod.

Next episode is finding material daily 

• Haha 2

On 5/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

I sincerely doubt there ever were many (or even a few) 18-21 year olds clamoring for pits or for larger pits.

If it gave them a place to march yes. With the growth of indoor percussion the number of kids trying out for the FE in drum corps has grown quite a bit.

but why let facts get in the way of a “in my day” thread 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1