12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a corps repertoire lists the music ALL OF THE MUSICIANS are responsible for. Not just the brass.quite honestly you get more melodic content from the pit during the block chord fest that is a lot of current brass arranging

Chicken or egg?

Is the pit more melodic now because brass writing has become less so, or the reverse?

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Chicken or egg?

Is the pit more melodic now because brass writing has become less so, or the reverse?

yes...and is that  bad thing?

3 hours ago, Continental said:

From what I can recall, '83 was the first year of the established pit.  Prior to that some instruments were grounded, yet the majority were carried by marching members.

Here is an example of a first year established pit.  The fact SCV used steel drums as part of the first year speaks volumes about how "Vanguard" they were - even the writing was so outside of what one would expect from SCV.   Note how few members are part of the pit this first year. 

and the max membership per corps was 128. now it's 154

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

so a kid does woodwinds all through high school...

pit equipment is considered percussion. your argument is moot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes...and is that  bad thing?

Is it bad if brass is less melodic?

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just remember that in drum corps right now (well, in 2019 when drum corps were active), there's something that you admire very much that someone like you will be complaining about in 20 years: some aspect of drum corps that you think is "intended" to be the way it is will be decried as having been a bad idea. 

We're all dinosaurs eventually.

I hope I will be watching drum corps 20 years from now, when I am 86+.   😎

Since I saw my first show in 1963, and my most recent in 2019...and have loved every era I have witnessed, I have a feeling that I will love it then too. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Drum lines would get the **** beat out of them (verbally) if they were too loud.  Ask Ralph Hardimon, or Tom Float.  The same thing exists today except its pits and they get away with it for some reason.  For the life of me I can't understand how it's an "in my day" issue.  Is the overall sound and balance of the total ensemble no longer important?

I don't get it.  

I find the balance between sections to be just fine overall. Of course, as in any era there are moments of corps being out of balance at times, but overall, the balance is excellent. Corps spend a lot of time working on every aspect of their shows during rehearsals, including balance. 

8 hours ago, Continental said:

From what I can recall, '83 was the first year of the established pit.  Prior to that some instruments were grounded, yet the majority were carried by marching members.

Here is an example of a first year established pit.  The fact SCV used steel drums as part of the first year speaks volumes about how "Vanguard" they were - even the writing was so outside of what one would expect from SCV.   Note how few members are part of the pit this first year. 

Notable how far ahead of it's time this segment was. Yet the "small pit" is just one of the countless things I saw that is long gone. And that's ok.

9 hours ago, Continental said:

Interesting I see marching bells placed on a stand but regular (non-marching) tymps.

and dang I miss drum solos like this...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

I hope I will be watching drum corps 20 years from now, when I am 86+.   😎

I very much look forward to our arguments on DCP in 2040.

And of course, you'll love it, but there will be people telling you that what people loved in 2019 was garbage. 

• Like 2