7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Is it bad if brass is less melodic?

depends on how it fits the show

On 5/21/2020 at 1:12 PM, Continental said:

Thank you - It's nice to hear about the effect from someone who marched that year.

One question -  how the heck did anyone who marched SCV that year keep it together during that emotional push in The Tender Land...one of the all time greatest endings. 

Most of us didn’t, “...but the (corps) played on” through the tears anyway. I made direct eye contact with a spectator in Row 3 and held his gaze for 8 solid counts during that push; he just went to pieces and nearly collapsed when he saw a skinny baritone playing ** to him **.  We were playing so loud, I could see condensation coming out of the horn bells, mine included. The hardest part was the decrescendo and ending chord; if you listen closely you can hear some individuals’ tone wavering due to emotional overload. That moment was both magical and utterly emotionally draining, and when Tenderland was handed out to us again the following year a lot of us ‘84 folks had our reservations about our ability to recapture that magic and rightfully so, as in my view we didn’t. 

16 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Most of us didn’t, “...but the (corps) played on” through the tears anyway. I made direct eye contact with a spectator in Row 3 and held his gaze for 8 solid counts during that push; he just went to pieces and nearly collapsed when he saw a skinny baritone playing ** to him **.  We were playing so loud, I could see condensation coming out of the horn bells, mine included. The hardest part was the decrescendo and ending chord; if you listen closely you can hear some individuals’ tone wavering due to emotional overload. That moment was both magical and utterly emotionally draining, and when Tenderland was handed out to us again the following year a lot of us ‘84 folks had our reservations about our ability to recapture that magic and rightfully so, as in my view we didn’t. 

Here is the field brass judge from '84.  

i'm sure you know all about this, it's for those who may not. 

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 1

One other thing that is a result of large pits is that a second equipment truck is required to haul it around.  Which needs a driver (or 2 so they can swap out) that require food & housing, plus the cost of fuel & insurance. 

Add props to the logistical equation & it gets even more expensive.   But that is a different argument. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Continental said:

i'm sure you know all about this, it's for those who may not. 

And speaking of the pit, this is a superb example of musicality and blend, each section supporting the others when appropriate and standing out when featured.

Ralph Hardimon wrote it, the staff refined it and the performers performed it magnificently, making holistic music from separate elements coalescing, not competing with each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TRacer said:

Wasn't Vanguard's horn line relatively young in '84 because a lot of veterans opted to participate in the All American Marching Band at the LA Summer Olympics?

Even with younger members, they were part of a three-way tie for brass at finals. 

5 hours ago, Continental said:

Wasn't Vanguard's horn line relatively young in '84 because a lot of veterans opted to participate in the All American Marching Band at the LA Summer Olympics?

Even with younger members, they were part of a three-way tie for brass at finals. 

You are correct; much of the internal SCV vet leadership (4-5-6-7 year members) took that summer off to do the Olympics, then came back to age out the following year. Pretty much all new blood came in, and GR & staff’s expectations were that the corps *might* place 5th *if* we were lucky (we were told this after we got back to our housing site after the disaster at Prelims) as the average age of the corps was just under 17, the youngest corps SCV had ever fielded. The sop soloist in On the Town was 16. Half our euph players were tenor sax guys from Independence HS who had never picked up a euph in their lives, that sort of thing. People who had marched elsewhere— no matter where, some us had seen 44th place— were looked to lead. If there was ever a “Band of Gypsies” in DC, we qualified. 

I think it’s been lost to history, but SCV (through Dave & GR) had been approached to participate in the ‘84 Olympics closing ceremonies and GR had accepted. The plan was to charter fly us from Atlanta to LA the week before Finals with our uniforms, silks and horns but no percussion. Premier already had an entire brand new set of drums & front ensemble equipment in LA waiting to go so transporting all that stuff was avoided. We’d do the gig, pack up and fly back to Atlanta in time back for Prelims. At least, that was the plan...until the USSR boycotted the ‘84 Games. When they did so it resulted in the Games’ timetable being complete revamped, closing ceremonies being shortened and our participation being cancelled. The Olympic Band went on. It was a huge let down, and that did motivate us. Gail kept a 12” model of a Boeing jet painted white with the SCV stripes & logo on his desk as a reminder. 

Sorry for the length. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 9:47 AM, Continental said:

I was really proud to learn that my son had listened to this tape while he was on tour with Blue Stars in 2019 (trumpet & “dogsled driver”).