7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so 80 brass isn't enough, but 14 in the pit is.

i'll gladly fight on the non mobile percussion ensembe's behalf. 

Yes, that's right.  Cut that pit number in half because a little goes a long way especially where they're situated.  They've multiplied like rabbits and they're  WAY too prominent in the overall sound.

7-11 parking lot at 11:00 p.m. Friday night.  I'm in the 1996 Corolla with spray-painted grey doors.

• Haha 3

We at DCP have a rich history in solving perceived problems that maybe aren't actually problems.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes, that's right.  Cut that pit number in half because a little goes a long way especially where they're situated.  They've multiplied like rabbits and they're  WAY too prominent in the overall sound.

7-11 parking lot at 11:00 p.m. Friday night.  I'm in the 1996 Corolla with spray-painted grey doors.

i say cut the tubas since a synth can go lower in octave and be louder and cost a lot less than 20 tubas.

2 can play the stupid analogy game, tho mine actually is far more cost effective for corps....i just happen to want neither to happen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

We at DCP have a rich history in creating perceived problems that maybe aren't actually problems.

edited for correctness

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

Next time you play this recording, use ear buds.  I was shocked at how many brass glitches they had.  The scores had them 4th in Bugles and tied for 1st with Madison and SCV with 10.0 for GE Bugles.

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

"Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them"

It bears repeating. 

I believe your problem is more with current writing trends than the number of mallet instruments in the front ensemble. For better or for worse, the mallets in the front ensemble currently shoulder a majority of the weight of beginning and ending musical phrases, something I assume your long-listened ears were once used to hearing the brass do. Cutting the number of mallets won't change modern drum corps writing style, it'll only make it sound thinner. It is what it is, and I'm not saying it's good or bad, merely pointing out that gathering from your posts, your problems might be more with a current writing trend itself rather than with the number of mallet instruments present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i say cut the tubas since a synth can go lower in octave and be louder and cost a lot less than 20 tubas.

2 can play the stupid analogy game, tho mine actually is far more cost effective for corps....i just happen to want neither to happen.

If you think cutting down on tubas (what happened to contras?) is a better idea, how about cutting drum lines completely and using electronic drum machines?  Same logic.

Last time I'll say it:  Pits are too loud and too prominent in the overall sound of a "modern" Drum & Bugle Corps.  They're supposed to compliment drums and bugles (whatever the preferred term is), not dominate them in the mix.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I believe your problem is more with current writing trends than the number of mallet instruments in the front ensemble. For better or for worse, the mallets in the front ensemble currently shoulder a majority of the weight of beginning and ending musical phrases, something I assume your long-listened ears were once used to hearing the brass do. Cutting the number of mallets won't change modern drum corps writing style, it'll only make it sound thinner. It is what it is, and I'm not saying it's good or bad, merely pointing out that gathering from your posts, your problems might be more with a current writing trend itself rather than with the number of mallet instruments present.

Could be.  Don't know as I'm not a trained musician and I was the worst baritone in the history of the Kingsmen.  But if Drum Corps now depends on an army of mallets to not sound "thin".....................somethings gone seriously wrong.  

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Bells have always been part of Drum and Bugle Corps.  Some of the top corps today started off as Drum and Bell Corps.  Blue Devils are an example and I think SCV too.  They belong in the activity and compliment the overall sound.

But something’s gone wrong.  Really wrong.  Pits have become way-WAY too large and are too dominant in the mix.  Cut their size down to 6 or less, or move them all to the back sideline so we can’t hear them.

Less is more. 

You've been on a roll lately. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMVua5xo1pU54oz5Ue3Oe

• Haha 1