The 1987 Thread

I'm fortunate. The only show I went to in 1987 is available online. Even the retreat. Make sure you stick around for the SCV Russian Christmas encore.

Link is to a playlist of 5 videos combined for the entire broadcast.

August 6, 1987
    Bloomington IN
    1 Santa Clara Vanguard 94.900
    2 Star of Indiana 88.800
    3 Velvet Knights 88.400
    4 Dutch Boy 78.200
    4 Troopers 78.200
    6 Boston Crusaders 74.000
    7 Colts 73.700

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

True, but he wanted to know why the sound then (when only one corps had Kevlar) was different from the sound now (when everyone does). That would seem to be a key culprit.

technological improvement of both heads and drums

4 hours ago, mfrontz said:

That's the problem with me going backwards into history I don't really know all that well. I'll have to rely upon you all for that kind of knowledge.

I like this series of threads that you've started.  We hear a lot of really interesting details about each of the years. 

Also, no one is arguing in them.  LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Heh. Twenty seconds entirely focused on one person playing the chimes.

If every member got that much individual screen time, the video would last more than 40 minutes.

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If every member got that much individual screen time, the video would last more than 40 minutes.

Yes, and there were so many of us who when we were marching got nothing and liked it. 😆

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Don't forget the "artistic" camera zoom down the throat of the horn.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It's so nice today that, despite the problems we encounter with Flo (and before that with Fan Network and DCI Live), that we not only get to watch LIVE shows from our computers (or even a TV) but we often get the choice of watching hi-cam. The PBS footage from the old days used to drive me nuts. Even then I wanted to complain to DCI that if you're trying to market the activity you need to show the full picture of what was taking place. Some of the close-up shots at the worst moments irritated DCI fans. I used to get so mad about the side shots from the 10 to 20 yard line that, in many cases, were not so flattering to the corps nor did they show the visuals the way they were meant to be seen. 

Of course, they wanted you to buy the DCI videos, but it was the wrong way to market the activity and was less than impressive when trying to showcase the best marching units in the world. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1