The 1987 Thread

I could be wrong but I don't think BD beat Santa Clara in any shows in 87. That's rare if that happened. The controversy that year was percussion. BD had previously won percussion in 84, 85 and 86. Back then the prior DCI champs went on last regardless of prelims. Cadets or Garfield got a perfect score in percussion before BD even went on. 

Edited by DFA1970

For 1987, I had to rely on the broadcast for many of the shows.

Saw Garfield Cadets a few times in the early season and at a show in late July. There is no question it was a powerful show, but when I saw it the corps had a great ending but it seemed to take a while to get to it. Lots of work went into making the final product. Though SCV’s 1987 show is one of my favorite all time shows and the show I wish had won, Garfield had a great finals performance and they did not give up on the show. They worked to the end.

Phantom’s Winter Palace show was amazing. I loved that it performed beloved Tchaikovsky music while had a few deep cuts into both “Swan Lake” and “The Nutcracker.”

We had some innovation where it was a surprise. Sky Ryder’s and their “West Side Story” was very creative and the two different uniforms impressive.I also loved Star’s circus show, one of my all time feel good shows.

Velvet Knights had their most polished show of all time though I wonder how parts of the show would be received today.

When I saw Suncoast in late July I recall finding “My Fair Lady” enjoyable, though I fo not find it as impactful on DVD. 

Bluecoats made finals for the first time. They hadn’t come to Boston yet so I knew very little about them. Probably never expected they would become a powerhouse.

Boston Crusaders and Dutch Boy did not make finals in 1987 but both had respectable shows. I think in both cases, we saw what would come later. 27th’s departure and BAC’s survival surprised many, including me, and BAC’s steady improvement was not due to picking up the pieces from 27th’s disbandment. I believe Garfield was the corps of choice for many former Lancers with some heading for Madison and Star. I may be wrong, and if I am I will soon be corrected. With Dutch Boy, they had a change in style to the swing and crooner themed shows.

Edited by Tim K

On 5/18/2020 at 7:51 PM, jwillis35 said:

It's so nice today that, despite the problems we encounter with Flo (and before that with Fan Network and DCI Live), that we not only get to watch LIVE shows from our computers (or even a TV) but we often get the choice of watching hi-cam. The PBS footage from the old days used to drive me nuts. Even then I wanted to complain to DCI that if you're trying to market the activity you need to show the full picture of what was taking place. Some of the close-up shots at the worst moments irritated DCI fans. I used to get so mad about the side shots from the 10 to 20 yard line that, in many cases, were not so flattering to the corps nor did they show the visuals the way they were meant to be seen. 

Of course, they wanted you to buy the DCI videos, but it was the wrong way to market the activity and was less than impressive when trying to showcase the best marching units in the world. 

What you say about PBS with drum corps is true with PBS overall. Up until the Ken Burns Civil War series, PBS was serious about the quality of the shows they presented content wise but not quality in filming. It was partly budgetary. I think PBS learned the importance of quality when they first started using specials such as Yanni, the Three Tenors, and Blast! to lure donors. Since that time think of the great acts we’ve seen on PBS. Of course many of us would love to see PBS return to broadcasting DCI butPBS has discovered that it is far less expensive to broadcast arts content made by others than produce it’s own. Not to mention more than a few DCP folks will point out that PBS felt burned when drum corps fans did not support PBS in fundraising drives.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 5:51 PM, jwillis35 said:

It's so nice today that, despite the problems we encounter with Flo (and before that with Fan Network and DCI Live),  

Flo yes, but I never had an issue with Fan Network, just disappointed we no longer have that option. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ghost said:

Flo yes, but I never had an issue with Fan Network, just disappointed we no longer have that option. 

Fan Network the first year the showed finals night was an epic disaster