The 1997 Thread

On 5/23/2020 at 7:08 AM, Continental said:

We are discussing his music which was used by more than one drum corps. 

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?view=search&Composer=Wagner%2C Richard

Im aware that his music has been used quite frequently, but he was still an awful person and I don’t feel the need to celebrate or commemorate his birthday. 

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Im aware that his music has been used quite frequently, but he was still an awful person and I don’t feel the need to celebrate or commemorate his birthday. 

Then don’t. Others might but you don’t have to.  Others may be only recognizing his music.

I took my girlfriend to DATR Denver in 1997.  It had been 10 years since she'd been to a DCI show, and she was pretty polite as the evening went on.  Then Scouts did their closer.  She leaped out of her chair and said "Now THAT's an f'ing drum corps!"  

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Dood wasn't celebrating his birthday. He was just trying to make a funny. 

18 hours ago, troopers1 said:

I took my girlfriend to DATR Denver in 1997.  It had been 10 years since she'd been to a DCI show, and she was pretty polite as the evening went on.  Then Scouts did their closer.  She leaped out of her chair and said "Now THAT's an f'ing drum corps!"  

She sounds like a keeper.  Hope you married her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

She sounds like a keeper.  Hope you married her.

Oh, hells to the yeah I did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anaheim Wingsmen

They were BWW before BWW.

What I fondly remember was how SCV just made a great season ending show. I saw then and BD early in CA and they were a good 8 points behind. The opener On the Waterfront was a drill and music heaven. I really liked the Cadets with that crazy drill.

Here is the repertoire from the top 26 corps in 1997

Blue Devils 1 98.400 As Time Goes By . . . - Casablanca * One Night in Bangkok (from Chess) * A Night in Tunisia * As Time Goes By (from Casablanca)  
The Cadets 2 97.600 Celebration - Celebration * Year of the Dragon  
Santa Clara Vanguard 3 96.900 Fog City Sketches - Pas de Deux (from On the Town) * Presto barbaro (from On the Waterfront) * City Dreams (from On the Waterfront) * The Masque (from The Age of Anxiety) * Variation 14, Poco piu vivace (from The Age of Anxiety) * The Epilogue (from The Age of Anxiety)  
Phantom Regiment 4 94.200 The Ring - Hagen's Call to His Clan (from Gotterdammerung - The Ring) * Magic Fire Music (from Die Walküre - The Ring) * Hammering of the Ring (from The Ring) * Die Gotterdammerung (from The Ring)  
Madison Scouts 5 93.900 The Pirates of Lake Mendota - The Adventure Begins * A day in port (Songs of the Quay) * Moods of the Sea (based on Tall Ships Suite) * Confrontation and Finale  
Crossmen 6 93.000 The Colors of Jazz - Birdland * You are My Sunshine * Niner Two  
The Cavaliers 7 92.800 The Firebird - Introduction to Rite of Spring * Berceuse (from The Firebird Suite) * Carrilon (from The Firebird Suite) * Retinue (from The Firebird Suite) * Infernal Dance (from the Firebird Suite) * Finale (from the Firebird Suite)  
Glassmen 8 90.000 The Age of Gold: The Music of Georges Bizet - Scene and Variations * Changing of the Guard (from Carmen) * Intermezzo - The Mountain Pass * Farandole (from L'Arlesienne)  
Blue Knights 9 88.200 Selections from Ben-Hur - Prelude (from Ben Hur) * Overture to Ben Hur * The Battle, parts I and II (from Ben Hur) * Lithe Girl, Brown Girl (2nd movement from The Lovers) * Father In Heaven (from Prayers of Kierkegaard)  
Magic of Orlando 10 85.700 Carnivale: Celebrations for Sinner and Saint - Lil Liza Jane * When the Saints Go Marching In * Bourbon Street Crawl * Mass * Mintzer's Voodoo Magic (In the Eighties) * Do Whatcha Wanna  
Bluecoats 11 85.600 Midnight Blue . . . Jazz After Dark, The Bluecoats' Way - Harlem Nocturne * Moon * You and the Night and the Music  
Carolina Crown 12 85.000 Postcards from Britain - Crown Imperial * Terpsichore, Mvt 4 * Nimrod (from Enigma Variations) * Jig (from St. Paul's Suite)  
Colts 13 84.100 The Music of Blood, Sweat and Tears - God Bless the Child * Lucretia McEvil * Hi-De-Ho (That Old Sweet Roll) * 40,000 Headmen  
Kiwanis Kavaliers 14 82.700 Evita - Requiem for Evita (from Evita) * Buenos Aires * A New Argentina * And The Money Kept Rolling In * You Must Love Me (from Evita) * Don't Cry For Me Argentina (from Evita)  
Boston Crusaders 15 80.500 Portraits of Our Homeland, Conflicts and Resolution - Original Fanfare * Chester Overture * Lincoln Portrait * Eternal Father * Navy Hymn * Victory at Sea  
Academie Musicale 16 79.400 Metamorphisis: A Choreographic Suite in Four Acts - Totus Tuus * Quasi Una Fantasia, 5th Movement * Symphonie of Psalms, 3rd Movement * Pie Jesu (from Requiem)  
Spirit of Atlanta 17 76.500 Southern Jazz - Spirit Style - Georgia on My Mind * Old Man River (from Show Boat) * Amazing Grace * Walk Him Up the Stairs (from Purlie) * Let It Be Me  
Les Etoiles Dorion Vaudreuil 18 77.400 The 1960s - The Turbulent Years from Nixon * Xizor's Theme (from Star Wars) * The Seduction of Princess Leia * The Creation (from Frankenstein)  
Pioneer 19 76.800 Riverdance - Riverdance * The Heart's Cry (from Riverdance) * Shivna (from Riverdance) * Woman of Sidhe (from Riverdance) * Russian Dervish * American Wake (from Riverdance) * Firedance (from Riverdance) * Home and the Heartland (from Riverdance)  
Mandarins 20 73.100 Passport - Ghost Train (from Ghost Train Triptych) * The Ride (from Ghost Train Triptych) * At the Station (from Ghost Train Triptych) * The Motive Revolution (from Ghost Train Triptych) * Bullet (from Ghost Train Triptych)  
Southwind 21 71.700 Scenes from Childhood (Zimmer, Holsinger) - Nilesdance * Children's March * Daydreaming * Iron Will  
East Coast Jazz 22 71.300 Threshold: The Music of Patrick Williams - Mull of Kintyre * And on the Sixth Day * This Witch * Threshold  
Spartans 23 69.800 Three Revelations - Awakening * Contemplation * Rejoicing  
Patriots 24 69.500 Medieval Visions - Dragonheart * First Knight  
Troopers 25 68.000 American Salute * The Way West * The Magnificent Seven * America The Beautiful  
Blue Stars 26 67.200 Divine Comedy - The Inferno (from The Divine Comedy) * Paradiso (from The Divine Comedy) * The Ascension (from The Divine Comedy)  
  • Like 2