contest "upset" question

On 5/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bucbari said:

I was there in 75 for prelims and finals and they were very very good.  I thought they had beat Troopers 

I spoke to people who also were there at 75 prelims said the same thing..........though I didn't see them.......

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 1:32 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

27 rarely came out of gate fast.  But in 77 they were even less fast

Between 1975 or 76 and 1982, you could usually predict where 27th would end the season, the question was how long it would take them to get there. 1977 may have been a slow start, but they did place 1st at CYO Nationals, ahead of Madison, Bridgemen, and Phantom, all of whom scored higher at finals (Bridgemen would have been 4th if they had not been disqualified). The real slow starts were 1979, due in no small part to holes in the ranks and a difficult drill. The 6th place finish in 1982 was a miracle too. 1980 was probably the strongest year start to finish. 1981 had a strong start but an uneven finish.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Bob984 said:

In the earlier days, competitive upsets were far more frequent, especially in the early season, than they are today.  I am specifically referring to

a corps that eventually finishes in finals being beaten by someone who does not qualifiy for finals at the end of the same year.  In 1977, my first year,

in June, the Boston Crusaders beat the 27th Lancers.  Boston finished in 17th place at DCI (27th finished 5fh).  Boston also defeated other

finalists at shows that year, including the Crossmen and the Cadets.  However, I believe that 27th may be the highest finisher (5th) to lose

a show to a non-finalist during the same season, without looking.  Has any finalist ever finished higher than 5th at finals that lost to a non-finalist

earlier that same season?

Yes.

In 1976, Marquis of Fond du Lac, WI, got off to a strong start.  On June 27 in Watertown, WI, they beat Phantom Regiment 73.45 to 72.85.  PR went on to finish 4th at DCI, while Marquis finished 16th.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes.

In 1976, Marquis of Fond du Lac, WI, got off to a strong start.  On June 27 in Watertown, WI, they beat Phantom Regiment 73.45 to 72.85.  PR went on to finish 4th at DCI, while Marquis finished 16th.

That may be the record (strong chance) within the same year.  Unfortunately, I never got to see Marquis.  That year was the first year that I attended DCI championships, but

only saw part of prelims. 

• 4 weeks later...

I do remember Marquis won the NT Open in 1976 2 days before DCI Championships started.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, Tim K said:

(Bridgemen would have been 4th if they had not been disqualified).

Personally, if there had been no over age issue, I'm pretty sure they would have finished no lower than 3rd, possibly even 2nd. It seems their marching miraculously went from 20.20 in prelim to 17.85 in finals. The other captions were still fairly close, within 1/2 a point of their preliminary scores. Everyone's M&M score dropped in finals and except for 27th (-.65), the average M&M drop for the other eastern corps (Bmen, Cadets, Crossmen) was 2.88!

Edited by Rocketman