The 1986 Thread

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

SCV's levitation here is my favorite of their small-focus magic tricks, and third overall for me only to making the corps disappear at the end of Phantom and to the trouser color change previously discussed.

How heavy was the base of that broomstick stand?

15 hours ago, troopers1 said:

There were so many random things that day, I can't remember for sure. Really, the entire mood of the city was "impatient."   My wife was the guard CO, and she vaguely remembers that there was an apology, and it may have been something to do with where someone(s) staged next to 27 during retreat or on the way into the show - basically a mistake rather than anything intentional.

Like I said, it was a vague memory and I can't even actually remember what the apology was for.  That was definitely a crazy day.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:59 AM, Continental said:

Cadet's '86.

The demi-guard, the boxer rings and the plastic clarinets. 

The music was good although I really have to wonder how that closer got mixed with On the Waterfront. 

It's nice to see that Tony Hall did well with the drill.

Phantom placed 9th in guard that year - why?  Because Garfield placed 12th.  It's easy to beat a guard which is kind of half there. 

I now look at Cadets from that era & cringe to think what may have been happening behind the scenes  ......☹️

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further clarification and pontificating

On 6/4/2020 at 5:08 AM, CHRISP said:

Like I said, it was a vague memory and I can't even actually remember what the apology was for.  That was definitely a crazy day.

I remember a very short, very round priest was going to break ranks between us (contras) and the guard in the staging area.  When my section leader stopped him, he was not happy.

I'll never forget that very red face, and the Bahston accent:  "Wheah's youah corpsah commandah!  I wanna tahlk to youah corpsah commandah!"  Good times.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, troopers1 said:

I remember a very short, very round priest was going to break ranks between us (contras) and the guard in the staging area.  When my section leader stopped him, he was not happy.

I'll never forget that very red face, and the Bahston accent:  "Wheah's youah corpsah commandah!  I wanna tahlk to youah corpsah commandah!"  Good times.

HAHA.  I'm from New York so I always appreciated that accent.  I hadn't heard the accent in person for so long.  When I went to a 27th Lancer reunion in 2017, fell in love with the accent all over again!!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a copy of the original 86 PBS broadcast, taped off of the TV?  Not the one that Video Express released on VHS, but the actual broadcast taped off the TV.  My reason for asking is on the original broadcast they showed short clips of the corps placing 12th down to 6th in semis.  On the Video Express vhs release they cut that out, most likely because there was no reason to have it since the entire top 12 were on the two tape set.  
If anyone has that excerpt from the original top five broadcast of 86, could you post it??? Again it’s short clips of corps 12 thru 6 from semis.

thanks!