The 1986 Thread

Little known fact: Vanguard would have won Finals going away, had they not been penalized 1.0 by the Ukrainian judge for putting Kiev in Russia, and 1.0 by an old VFW judge for the drum major's hippie haircut.

That is not true.

BD was untouchable (and made Rod Goodhart say, 'OH ####!') Santa Clara was magic (figuratively and literally). Cavies continued their climb with wind band music. Garfield played Bernstein great (as usual) but decided to do weird guard. Suncoast, Spirit, Madison and Star all had amazing hornlines and unique takes on great music. Sky Ryders had brains, heart and courage. This was such an off-year for Phantom that no one has even put up a video of them. It was Troopers' last time in Finals in 23 years. Velvet Knights played a show that Cavaliers would do a pale knock-off of in 2004 (that's not true either). 27th Lancers played 'Move On,' then... moved on. 😞 Les Eclipses took the Semis crowd to Paris. Bluecoats were turning heads, Boston Crusaders was still not dying, and Dutch Boy was screaming.

Tell us about 1986.  

1. Blue Devils: Finals Performance, Field Percussion Tape, Stillwater MN (Rod Goodhart), Early Season, Riverside CA'

2. Santa Clara Vanguard: Finals Performance, Early Season, Bakersfield CA

3. Cavaliers: Finals Performance

4. Garfield Cadets: Finals Performance, Statue of Liberty Re-dedication Opening Ceremony

5: Suncoast Sound: Finals Performance

6. Spirit of Atlanta: Finals Performance

7. Madison Scouts: Finals Performance

8. Star of Indiana: Finals Performance

9. Sky Ryders: Finals Performance

10. Phantom Regiment - see below

11. Troopers: Finals Performance

12. Velvet Knights: Finals Performance, Early Season - Riverside CA

13. 27th Lancers: Semifinals Performance, GE Percussion Tape - August 10

14. Les Eclipses: Semifinals Performance

15. Bluecoats: Clip

16. Boston Crusaders

17. Dutch Boy Performance (date and location unknown)

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was also the year Dagenham Crusaders won DCUK (ok....Conquest Alliance tied with us) wearing BD-style uniforms and playing "West Side Story"...oh, the irony for me.

I remember calling from the UK (I was in the USAF and over there on temporary duty at the time...managed to march Dagenham because I had weekends off) to try and find scores back when there was a score line.

• Like 2

Back to DCI....86 was the year Regiment got a bad case of food poisoning after Stillwater...tainted water used in their spaghetti, IIRC.

I read about it in Stars & Stripes, the US military newspaper.

I have ti think it affected the performance at finals, since people lost a good chunk of rehearsal time in the latter part of the season.

The 06 corps redeemed the closer, tho.

1 minute ago, 84BDsop said:

Back to DCI....86 was the year Regiment got a bad case of food poisoning after Stillwater...tainted water used in their spaghetti, IIRC.

I have ti think it affected the performance at finals, since people lost a good chunk of rehearsal time in the latter part of the season.

Ugh. Phantom had food poisoning issues for 2002 finals I think, too.

Interesting that you read it in Stars and Stripes. 

48 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

An unexpected and unwelcome medical issue seems to always hurt a corps, but I’m not sure if more rehearsal time would have had too much of an impact on Phantom in 1986. The had been ahead of Sky Ryders a few times in 1986 (DCX is very helpful) but 1986 was one of their weaker shows. Now a corps that did suffer due to losing rehearsal time is 27th Lancers. It looked as if 27th might squeeze into finals after missing 1985 and had placed higher than Velvet Knights, Troopers, and Sky Ryders at different points of the season but lots of rehearsal time just before finals was lost due to bus breakdowns. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

An unexpected and unwelcome medical issue seems to always hurt a corps, but I’m not sure if more rehearsal time would have had too much of an impact on Phantom in 1986. The had been ahead of Sky Ryders a few times in 1986 (DCX is very helpful) but 1986 was one of their weaker shows.

I agree that 86 was a weak program for PR...but getting food poisoning sure didn't help matters.

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Velvet Knights played a show that Cavaliers would do a pale knock-off of in 2004 (that's not true either).

Little known fact: VK had a time machine and was just copying White Sabers' 2019 show.

(That also might not be true.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Little known fact: VK had a time machine and was just copying White Sabers' 2019 show.

(That also might not be true.)

Did VK ever do a 'time machine' show? That would have been hilarious.