The 1986 Thread

1 hour ago, troopers1 said:

Cadets got new uniforms, but only after performing in corps jackets and jeans for a few weeks.  Had to have been hot, but most corps still had wool uniforms in those days so maybe it wasn't so much worse.  I loved the Bernstein music, and their take on it.  The backwards company front made me smile every time.

Suncoast was a tremendous corps in 1986.  Their music was so good.  They had the super cool Circle K equipment truck, and their members were really good folks.

I tried to be mad at Sky for taking Troopers' 1985 mojo, but how could you not love that show?  Over the Rainbow was the classic 1980's "arena anthem" style of drum corps chart.  Plus:  "I'm melting!"

Malden was a super interesting time of my rookie year.  We stayed in an old VFW or Legion hall downtown.  Hotter than heck, until my buddy found us an empty office upstairs, where we overslept and missed breakfast.  We had to shower across the street at the Y.  Our equipment truck got stuck trying to turn the corner in front of the Y and made a lot of the locals really freakin' mad. Actually, the entire mood was pretty hostile in the area, maybe because it was a nasty heat wave.  'Saders mixed it up with the Malden parade crowd, which made the parade last what seemed like 15 years.  A priest chewed out our DM because we told him to not break our ranks in the staging area.  Some lady with a baby tried to break our ranks during the parade where the silly string was flying.   27th got a do-over at the Malden show, and were booed by their home crowd.   You can't write this stuff, it just has to happen.

Why was 27th booed?

5 hours ago, gak27 said:

My Dad and I were at DCI East that year (summer between undergrad and grad) and remember that storm and the standstill.  One thing that will always stand out to me was Boston's performance, especially at the end with the DM essentially running up and down in front of the corps getting them revved up as they headed into the bugle call for "Conquest".  Being an East show, you KNOW the crowd ate it up.  And yes, BD was that good that year.

ah yes, back when the Allentown crowd would practice "Conquest' as the corps was coming on the field

• Like 2

2 hours ago, troopers1 said:

Cadets got new uniforms, but only after performing in corps jackets and jeans for a few weeks.  Had to have been hot, but most corps still had wool uniforms in those days so maybe it wasn't so much worse.  I loved the Bernstein music, and their take on it.  The backwards company front made me smile every time.

Suncoast was a tremendous corps in 1986.  Their music was so good.  They had the super cool Circle K equipment truck, and their members were really good folks.

I tried to be mad at Sky for taking Troopers' 1985 mojo, but how could you not love that show?  Over the Rainbow was the classic 1980's "arena anthem" style of drum corps chart.  Plus:  "I'm melting!"

Malden was a super interesting time of my rookie year.  We stayed in an old VFW or Legion hall downtown.  Hotter than heck, until my buddy found us an empty office upstairs, where we overslept and missed breakfast.  We had to shower across the street at the Y.  Our equipment truck got stuck trying to turn the corner in front of the Y and made a lot of the locals really freakin' mad. Actually, the entire mood was pretty hostile in the area, maybe because it was a nasty heat wave.  'Saders mixed it up with the Malden parade crowd, which made the parade last what seemed like 15 years.  A priest chewed out our DM because we told him to not break our ranks in the staging area.  Some lady with a baby tried to break our ranks during the parade where the silly string was flying.   27th got a do-over at the Malden show, and were booed by their home crowd.   You can't write this stuff, it just has to happen.

I am pretty sure I was at the Malden show and I seem to remember a 27th do-over. Though do-overs were not common in Boston area shows, they were not uncommon either. A favorite do-over excuse at Eastern Mass and CYO circuit shows, and maybe Mayflower, the third circuit was a problem with the “timing and penalty” judge. It was probably as legit as the poor color guard member who had problems dropping the rifle who just happened to have her arm in a sling at a critical show where a tenth or two could change everything. 1986 may have been a bit late for these stunts, and the judges may not have been local, but old habits die hard. 

Regarding the booing of 27th, I can’t recall that either, but I do not question it. Drum corps fans can be passionate. I can recall shows I attended in Malden, Everett, Lynn, or Revere being either calm and enjoyable or explosions waiting to happen. It didn’t seem to be the case in Beverly or Boston, or the shows In the suburbs, Swansea, or Pittsfield. As I’m sure you know since you competed against both corps, BAC hated 27th with a passion. They didn’t exactly love Madison or Bridgemen either. 27th didn’t have much love for BAC though they could often appear to be above the fray. By 1986, the heated relationship between marching members in both corps had simmered. The 1986 27th membership had lots of kids who had marched with Memphis Blues and Avant Garde and BAC had changed too, but there were fans in the stand who still had strong feelings. 

23 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Suncoast came to CA in 86. First time seeing them. They were really good. Sound was amazing. I think they won brass caption at the BD's home show. Back then they had full retreat and captions were handed out.

Suncoast, in fact, beat BD in field brass at finals.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I am pretty sure I was at the Malden show and I seem to remember a 27th do-over. Though do-overs were not common in Boston area shows, they were not uncommon either. A favorite do-over excuse at Eastern Mass and CYO circuit shows, and maybe Mayflower, the third circuit was a problem with the “timing and penalty” judge. It was probably as legit as the poor color guard member who had problems dropping the rifle who just happened to have her arm in a sling at a critical show where a tenth or two could change everything. 1986 may have been a bit late for these stunts, and the judges may not have been local, but old habits die hard. 

Regarding the booing of 27th, I can’t recall that either, but I do not question it. Drum corps fans can be passionate. I can recall shows I attended in Malden, Everett, Lynn, or Revere being either calm and enjoyable or explosions waiting to happen. It didn’t seem to be the case in Beverly or Boston, or the shows In the suburbs, Swansea, or Pittsfield. As I’m sure you know since you competed against both corps, BAC hated 27th with a passion. They didn’t exactly love Madison or Bridgemen either. 27th didn’t have much love for BAC though they could often appear to be above the fray. By 1986, the heated relationship between marching members in both corps had simmered. The 1986 27th membership had lots of kids who had marched with Memphis Blues and Avant Garde and BAC had changed too, but there were fans in the stand who still had strong feelings. 

i know many people weren't happy there was no Danny Boy

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i know many people weren't happy there was no Danny Boy

27th, along with Bridgemen and Kilties when they were strictly a junior corps are old school favorites, no question, but had they existed today would not be what we remember. 27th’s 1986 show was a complete revamping of 27th. The British openings and “Danny Boy” were most likely not going to be repeated. The show was a Sondheim tribute and a clear step in a different direction. If they had survived I expect they would have been an innovative competitor.

I didn’t exactly love that show. I didn’t hate it but it was not 27th, at least to me. I did expect to see them make finals. Slow starts we’re not uncommon for 27th.  1978 was an early season disaster and it was believed they would fall from finals. They placed 7th. 1979 took a long time to clean, they placed 5th. 1982 was an early season disaster too and with such a high turnover after so many went to Garfield, a 6th place finish was a miracle. I expected another adrenaline rush like 1978 or 1982 and assumed there would a 9th or 10th place finish, which was not too far fetched a prediction mid season. I also did not predict 1986 would be their last season. 

As I’ve said before, if you had told me in let’s say 1980 that Massachusetts would only have one corps representing the state I would never have predicted it would be Boston Crusaders. I am sure I would have predicted 27th. I loved BAC and respected their determination, but 27th was a powerhouse and North Star had such potential. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

ah yes, back when the Allentown crowd would practice "Conquest' as the corps was coming on the field

or the swamp of '79...

There is a significant event from 1986 that I do not believe has been mentioned: Garfield Cadets performing at the rededication of The Statue of Liberty on July 4th. I got to see it from the comfort of home, and I recall thinking Cadets did not get enough airtime. Any recollections from Garfield alums?🇺🇸🗽 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

There is a significant event from 1986 that I do not believe has been mentioned: Garfield Cadets performing at the rededication of The Statue of Liberty on July 4th. I got to see it from the comfort of home, and I recall thinking Cadets did not get enough airtime. Any recollections from Garfield alums?🇺🇸🗽 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6dnrI0at0M

• Like 1