Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

The DCP FB group is not suppressing BLM, if you read the post on the group. They created a thread specifically for BLM posts, so that the entire group is not overrun. I am not an admin in the FB group, but it makes sense to me. 

Is that anything like DCP keeping only one thread open for hot button issues? I don’t fb due to some people who really need better meds who do fb....

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

That’s suppression. Trying to keep uncomfortable discussion in a neat little side topic that is easy to ignore. The entire point of the BLM movement is to force white people to confront the reality of modern white supremacy. To make it impossible to ignore.

Any action to restrict or police that message is wrong. Particularly at this moment in time.

actually it's not suppression. if you read the pages rules, it is set up to be a DRUM CORPS discussion page, not a political or social justice every post page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually it's not suppression. if you read the pages rules, it is set up to be a DRUM CORPS discussion page, not a political or social justice every post page.

Congratulations, you just proved his point. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Congratulations, you just proved his point. 

? Yes this needs to be discussed but what is the problem with having one thread instead of multiple? If you have multiple then discussion tends to be all over the place. Especially in a group that is unrelated to the issue?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

? Yes this needs to be discussed but what is the problem with having one thread instead of multiple? If you have multiple then discussion tends to be all over the place. Especially in a group that is unrelated to the issue?

You mean like most threads on every subject?...lol..Some of the major hijackers  of the past ,mostly with the same 4 or 5 talking points   are gone.

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You mean like most threads on every subject?...lol..Some of the major hijackers ,mostly with the same 4 or 5 talking points   are gone but it still happens.

Not sure of what you mean. I’m not talking about threads that wander into different topics. I mean having multiple threads open with the same topic. On DCP they are usually closed with “topic already open” notes. 

Not seeing the fb posts hard to tell. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not sure of what you mean. I’m not talking about threads that wander into different topics. I mean having multiple threads open with the same topic. On DCP they are usually closed with “topic already open” notes. 

Not seeing the fb posts hard to tell. 

I agree ( although it has happened) multiple threads on any subject is not necessary BUT hijacking threads is something different. I was talking more about hijacking. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

That’s suppression. Trying to keep uncomfortable discussion in a neat little side topic that is easy to ignore. The entire point of the BLM movement is to force white people to confront the reality of modern white supremacy. To make it impossible to ignore.

Any action to restrict or police that message is wrong. Particularly at this moment in time.

So if people there want to discuss BLM, you want to force them to traipse through a thread about a different topic to try to find those posts that relate to it, and only be able to post their own thoughts knowing others will have to do the same thing, thereby obstructing and weakening any such discussion.  

Your way sounds more like suppression to me.  Not that I am accusing you of having that intent just because you might have a different notion about the best way to accommodate a situation.  That would be a horrible thing to do to another human being.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Actually it is. Nobody cares about your little rules. At this precise moment in time, the appropriate action was to forget about drum corps for a little while and let your platform (small as it may be) be used for something good. Instead you decided to go on a power trip in the name or "order" or whatever. Look at the world around you right now. Is that how you want to look?

You made the wrong choice. Hopefully you've learned from it.

• Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Actually it is. Nobody cares about your little rules. At this precise moment in time, the appropriate action was to forget about drum corps for a little while and let your platform (small as it may be) be used for something good. Instead you decided to go on a power trip in the name or "order" or whatever. Look at the world around you right now. Is that how you want to look?

You made the wrong choice. Hopefully you've learned from it.

I’m lost... does Ream own DCP or does he own FB. 

Seriously the insults and mind reading is the last thing anyone in this country needs....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1