Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“Speaks volumes about your character” 

get over yourself.... just because things are being done in a way you disagree with.....

Again, this isn't an issue where you get to just agree to disagree. This is a serious, somber matter that should have been handled with understanding and respect. Jeff Ream's dog whistles are deafening at this point, it's pretty obvious what he really thinks about the whole thing. Vile.

12 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Again, this isn't an issue where you get to just agree to disagree. This is a serious, somber matter that should have been handled with understanding and respect. Jeff Ream's dog whistles are deafening at this point, it's pretty obvious what he really thinks about the whole thing. Vile.

So you know Jeff personally to know what he really thinks and his background in this? Getting into personal attack area here. And you are just coming across as if we don’t agree with you totally then we are racist....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, ironlips said:

This seems strange. How would anyone know the race or ethnicity of a given poster, unless there was a photo instead of an avatar?

we don't.  we don't have the time or reason to know because we base the maintenance and moderating of the forum and FB page simply on the DCP guidelines - we know that is sometimes difficult for some to accept especially those who believe there is always some nefarious 'deep corps' conspiracy or just choose to ignore the rules that they agreed to, just because... 

and many haven't been here long enough - or forget - that at one time there was a ZERO tolerance policy on any non-drum corps related discussion.  major events, member feedback, experimentation and trial and error has brought us to a point where we try to support relevant and respectful discussion of topics that impact the activity beyond the field until the discussion exhausts, devolves, or the guidelines violated. We do try to focus topics and subtopics in to one or several threads so the general topic does not overwhelm the focus and reason for the forum or page. intentional overloading of either by spam will always be verboten.  And despite some members' perceptions, we have learned to be more patient and try to help keep conversation going - which is probably why this discussion apparently more focused on DCP's moderating is now on page 6.  

One final word:  I find any comment relating to an "all white moderating team" to be racist in itself, and completely inappropriate and unacceptable.  I am absolutely confident those who know the moderating team personally know their individual personal stories and would never go there.  Those who don't, shouldn't.

I've said enough - if anyone has any issues or questions please message JohnD or me offline in accordance with the board rules. 

Divisive times and heavy emotions from all sides. I'm glad all corps have made their positions known.  Let's hope we all follow through.

best wishes and stay safe everyone.

You need a #### like button JohnZ....

37 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

"because we did not cave"

Yes, that is where you went wrong. This was the appropriate time to "cave." That you view temporarily allowing the Facebook group to be used as a platform to spread such an important and humane message as "running hog wild" speaks volumes about your character.

edit: also, "some folks ideas of what social justice should be" is absolutely abhorrent in this context. This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 equally valid sides. You have no business being in a position of authority on a public discussion board. None of you do.

yes we did not cave. to what you don't know, and IMO is none of your ####### business.

feel better? I do. oh and read up on the first amendment a little and how it actually pertains to social media and private pages.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Yes, that is where you went wrong. This was the appropriate time to "cave." That you view temporarily allowing the Facebook group to be used as a platform to spread such an important and humane message as "running hog wild" speaks volumes about your character.

edit: also, "some folks ideas of what social justice should be" is absolutely abhorrent in this context. This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 equally valid sides. You have no business being in a position of authority on a public discussion board. None of you do.

There are many varieties of viewpoints along the overall spectrum of possibilities. You do not get to decide the One Way everybody has to think in order for their POV to be valid. 

By the way...DCP is not a “public discussion board”. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Wow.  Are you one of the people who made the violent threats?

• Haha 1

Having trouble following you.  It started when you said this:

On 6/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, jeffmolnar said:

That’s suppression.

Then, in your next post on this thread, you said this...

19 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Nobody cares about your little rules.

... which suppressed me.  I care about the "little rules" by which a discussion forum can actually have discussion.

And then you said... 

45 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 equally valid sides. 

... and this... 

28 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Again, this isn't an issue where you get to just agree to disagree. 

... so I guess you are not here for a discussion.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

There are many varieties of viewpoints along the overall spectrum of possibilities. You do not get to decide the One Way everybody has to think in order for their POV to be valid. 

By the way...DCP is not a “public discussion board”. 

Not seeing the fb group I’m probably off. I’m reading this as disagreeing with how one expresses their view. IOW you could have two people agree but one could be more vocal and argumentative about it and another use the one on one soft approach. 

Guessing in this case someone doesn’t like they can’t express themself “their way”

Like Jeff... I too received literally dozens of hate mails and even threats to mine and my family's physical safety. I even had someone post me a picture of my kids (yes, they got reported to the relevant authorities). All because "we didn't cave".

You know what? The internet is huge. There are LITERALLY MILLIONS of places for you to discuss current events ELSEWHERE online. We however recognised pretty quickly the lay of the land and as a consensus decided to bend our rules and ALLOW discussion on THIS drum corps forum as well as the facebook page. What happened was certain SJW's got all bent out of shape because someone actually had the cajones to enforce rules and set boundaries on them. Like it or lump it, ones First Amendment rights do NOT extend to private, moderated online forums. I can absolutely assure you that nothing was taken lightly and nothing IS taken lightly with how we choose to moderate not only this forum but the facebook page as well.

I've said my piece. Like John said, if you'd like to discuss it further with me, feel free to message me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1