Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I was agreeing with ya Jimbo

Oops, sorry I missed the intent.... my bad...

Now that I understand, that sounds more like you 👍

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oops, sorry I missed the intent.... my bad...

Now that I understand, that sounds more like you 👍

No problem, I can be a confusing fella

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

No problem, I can be a confusing fella

Well speaking of being confusing... great segue...

While retired and unable to volunteer at the library (look out Ream) been doing lot of reading where google takes me. Lately on a WWII kick before the US entered the war. There were more spys, saboteurs and 5th columnists than I realized. 5th column as try to hurt the US ability to fight from within, including getting us to fight each other or make the US hate the 5th columnists enemies. And one to do that was pose as a member of groups they opposed and cause trouble so those groups would be blamed. Just one of those “history repeating itself” moments but it goes on all the time apparently.

Sorry if my original post on this was misleading due to lack of content

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

"because we did not cave"

Yes, that is where you went wrong. This was the appropriate time to "cave." That you view temporarily allowing the Facebook group to be used as a platform to spread such an important and humane message as "running hog wild" speaks volumes about your character.

edit: also, "some folks ideas of what social justice should be" is absolutely abhorrent in this context. This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 equally valid sides. You have no business being in a position of authority on a public discussion board. None of you do.

The more I read the less I believe you care anything about Black lives.  This is about you and your self-importance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A fundamental problem with practically every discussion of BLM is that people don't say what they mean by BLM.  If someone says they support BLM, they could mean:

(a) They support the belief that black lives matter (no capitalization).  This is simply a statement without reference to anyone else's definition of an organization or movement.   The life of a black person should not matter any less than the life of any other person.  I doubt many people would disagree with this, and I think for a person or organization (such as a drum corps) to say otherwise would be concerning, to say the least.

(b) They support the statements made on the "official" BLM website.  This includes, among other things, "Defund the Police", which is a highly controversial notion that many people, including many black people, do not readily assume to be wise.  Indeed, rational arguments have been made that it would do untold harm to the very people it professes to protect.  To complicate matters, while some who appear to support the notion say they want to entirely abolish police departments, others, when pressed, say that it doesn't really mean what the words mean.  

(c) They support the black lives matter movement.  This can't easily be interpreted because BLM is not really a centralized organization but a loosely connected movement with different organizations in different places.  An organization in one place may have one set of beliefs, stated or organized, and an organization in another place may have a different set of beliefs, including those that contradict the beliefs of the other organization.  So to say you support one organization might mean you oppose another.

So if you are horrified by the murder of George Floyd, and believe that all black lives matter, including the life of David Dorn, but you cannot avoid coming to what seems to be a very rational conclusion that defunding the police would be a disaster that could cost countless lives including many black lives, and someone demands to know your official yes/no position on whether you support "black lives matter", what can you possibly say?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The more I read the less I believe you care anything about Black lives.  This is about you and your self-importance. 

Doesn’t matter. He’s no longer here. 

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

So if you are horrified by the murder of George Floyd, and believe that all black lives matter, including the life of David Dorn, but you cannot avoid coming to what seems to be a very rational conclusion that defunding the police would be a disaster that could cost countless lives including many black lives, and someone demands to know your official yes/no position on whether you support "black lives matter", what can you possibly say?  

The city of Camden NJ abolished their city police about 7 years ago for a variety of reasons. Today they are part of a county system. When they had their own police, the makeup was over 70% black, close to the population percentage in Camden. Under the county system, the percentage is now 43% black.

I do not take the words “defund the police” to mean abolish the police. If there are people saying to totally abolish the police, they are twisting the original intent of the catchphrase. 

The catchphrase, much like black lives matter, isn’t the best in how vague and potentially misleading it is, but it does get people’s attention which I believe is the goal. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Doesn’t matter. He’s no longer here. 

13 hours ago, JohnZ said:

we don't.  we don't have the time or reason to know because we base the maintenance and moderating of the forum and FB page simply on the DCP guidelines - we know that is sometimes difficult for some to accept especially those who believe there is always some nefarious 'deep corps' conspiracy or just choose to ignore the rules that they agreed to, just because... 

and many haven't been here long enough - or forget - that at one time there was a ZERO tolerance policy on any non-drum corps related discussion.  major events, member feedback, experimentation and trial and error has brought us to a point where we try to support relevant and respectful discussion of topics that impact the activity beyond the field until the discussion exhausts, devolves, or the guidelines violated. We do try to focus topics and subtopics in to one or several threads so the general topic does not overwhelm the focus and reason for the forum or page. intentional overloading of either by spam will always be verboten.  And despite some members' perceptions, we have learned to be more patient and try to help keep conversation going - which is probably why this discussion apparently more focused on DCP's moderating is now on page 6.  

One final word:  I find any comment relating to an "all white moderating team" to be racist in itself, and completely inappropriate and unacceptable.  I am absolutely confident those who know the moderating team personally know their individual personal stories and would never go there.  Those who don't, shouldn't.

I've said enough - if anyone has any issues or questions please message JohnD or me offline in accordance with the board rules. 

Divisive times and heavy emotions from all sides. I'm glad all corps have made their positions known.  Let's hope we all follow through.

best wishes and stay safe everyone.

Mods have an incredibly difficult job of reading between the lines even when, sometimes, the messages between the lines are not as clear as they seem.

• Like 1