Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I do not take the words “defund the police” to mean abolish the police. If there are people saying to totally abolish the police, they are twisting the original intent of the catchphrase. 

Then what does it mean?

Last I heard, "defund" means stop all funding.  And when you cut off all funding to something that costs money to operate (like a drum corps, for example), it ceases to exist.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Then what does it mean?

Last I heard, "defund" means stop all funding.  And when you cut off all funding to something that costs money to operate (like a drum corps, for example), it ceases to exist.

I’ve seen different definitions from different people. Anywhere from what you stated to no military hardware to transfer funds to areas like community outreach and physiological testing for new recruits. That’s part of problem, people talking but not about the same thing

Then quit using the inaccurate term "defund" and say reallocate.  Defund has only one meaning.  Either they are stupid and can't bother to pick up a dictionary, or have been caught exposing what they truly mean as they scramble to come up with nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Then quit using the inaccurate term "defund" and say reallocate.  Defund has only one meaning.  Either they are stupid and can't bother to pick up a dictionary, or have been caught exposing what they truly mean as they scramble to come up with nonsense.

Agree with it being an inaccurate term but calling people stupid won’t help imo. Real confusing part to me is when people say defund, meaning no money for military hardware and others read all different meanings. And for the last group I mentioned “reallocate” is a much clearer term imo

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Then what does it mean?

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

It means to strip down the functions of the police department and to reduce its funding so that the money can go to other social services. It is trying to demilitarize and police and reduce its functions so that more specialized social services can exist that will overall reduce crime. That way, police officers’ burdens will be reduced, and funding can be put into education in disadvantaged/high crime areas, shelters can be created, and mental health services can be further strengthened. 

I didn’t expect nothing less than the typical “BUT THATS NOT WHAT DEFUND MEANS” from the DCP demographic, and I understand that the catchphrase is confusing, but the point is for the catchphrase to be radical so that it grabs the attention of EVERYONE. A few minutes of basic research, which you all should be doing anyways in this day and age, would explain what defunding the police means. If you have further questions on the subject, I have a video I can PM to you that explains the background behind why it this concept has become popularized and what it exactly means. 

• Haha 1

Not sure if it falls under social services but some cities have gone to the “community policing” concept and have it work. Instead of only times the residents see cops is driving thru and making arrests, the cops are actually interacting with the neighborhood. Small local precinct houses are build and manned. Also cops actually walking around and meeting the residents. Puts a name and face to both sides and residents are more open to report trouble and be witnesses. But the money for that has to come from another part of the budget which is where most of the opposition comes from

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It means to strip down the functions of the police department and to reduce its funding so that the money can go to other social services. It is trying to demilitarize and police and reduce its functions so that more specialized social services can exist that will overall reduce crime. That way, police officers’ burdens will be reduced, and funding can be put into education in disadvantaged/high crime areas, shelters can be created, and mental health services can be further strengthened. 

I didn’t expect nothing less than the typical “BUT THATS NOT WHAT DEFUND MEANS” from the DCP demographic, and I understand that the catchphrase is confusing, but the point is for the catchphrase to be radical so that it grabs the attention of EVERYONE. A few minutes of basic research, which you all should be doing anyways in this day and age, would explain what defunding the police means. If you have further questions on the subject, I have a video I can PM to you that explains the background behind why it this concept has become popularized and what it exactly means. 

Reallocate is the term you are looking for.  Making excuses for inaccurate verbiage is kinda of pointless and self defeating.  Either words mean something or they don't.  It's pretty easy, "Sorry, we meant reallocate resources not defund the police force."  Not hard.  Defund has been used many times to mean precisely what it means.   So I don't buy into the scramble to save face by altering word meanings.  The polarization is ONLY coming from people that utter it, not the people listening and understanding it.  "But this is what I meant" and continue to use inaccurate terms...sorry not being sold that bill of goods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We should recognize, disinformation Is a key ingredient to times like this. So are changing the meaning of words and symbols. Guilt is a biggie, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Reallocate is the term you are looking for.  Making excuses for inaccurate verbiage is kinda of pointless and self defeating.  Either words mean something or they don't.  It's pretty easy, "Sorry, we meant reallocate resources not defund the police force."  Not hard.  Defund has been used many times to mean precisely what it means.   So I don't buy into the scramble to save face by altering word meanings.  The polarization is ONLY coming from people that utter it, not the people listening and understanding it.  "But this is what I meant" and continue to use inaccurate terms...sorry not being sold that bill of goods.

“Save face” by describing what some people mean? And if they use inaccurate words then what do we do about the real message “I’m going to ignore or speak against it until you come up with more accurate term”? Ok folks no more signs until we can figure out how to make “reallocate” fit.

personally I think using defund when reallocate is meant is really dumb. But I’m not about to down people because of word use, however confusing it may be

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree with it being an inaccurate term but calling people stupid won’t help imo. Real confusing part to me is when people say defund, meaning no money for military hardware and others read all different meanings. And for the last group I mentioned “reallocate” is a much clearer term imo

I have a problem when people say they want to "demilitarize" the police , and eliminate funding for "military hardware".

Organizations like police,fire ,etc. have to able to function in any emergency situation,be it man made or natural.

That requires a clear "chain of command".

That, in and of itself ,requires a quasi military model.

Same thing,what exactly is "military hardware " ?

Everyone seems to have have their own definition.

At one time,the standard procedure in N.J. ,when dealing with an "active shooter (s)" situation,

including schools,was for a police officer to wait for back-up.

Not now.

An officer is expected to go in immediately.

That requires more "fire power" then a semi automatic pistol.

Police have carried shot guns for years.

Given their "spread", they aren't well suited for "close quarters"  with "civilians"

possibly in the "line of fire".

Hence,an AR-15 or something similar is now  standard in police vehicles.

Does every police department need an armored vehicle ?

No.

But the terrorist attack in Jersey City last December showed the necessity of hainvg this

type of equipment available on at least a County basis.

• Like 3