Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

We should recognize, disinformation Is a key ingredient to times like this. So are changing the meaning of words and symbols. Guilt is a biggie, too. 

no, it's true. i am an ######## to everyone

Sorry to reply to your post in reverse order, but that is how I roll.

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

A few minutes of basic research, which you all should be doing anyways in this day and age, would explain what defunding the police means. 

But my few minutes of research found that there are factions who seriously intend to dismantle entire police departments.  One such idea was to eliminate the entire Minneapolis police department over the ensuing year, replacing them with some alternative service composed of people who actually reside in Minneapolis.

and I understand that the catchphrase is confusing, but the point is for the catchphrase to be radical so that it grabs the attention of EVERYONE. 

Wait.  The point is to create a lie to grab our attention?  Then tell us what the real agenda is?

After your "hydroxychloroquine BS" posts awhile back, I would never have expected you to defend anything less than absolute, factual accuracy in such public policy communications.  Why should this be treated differently?

I didn’t expect nothing less than the typical “BUT THATS NOT WHAT DEFUND MEANS” from the DCP demographic

The DCP demographic?  What is that?  

In a thread devoted to combating racism, is it too much to ask for you to leave your -isms out of this conversation?

It means to strip down the functions of the police department and to reduce its funding so that the money can go to other social services. It is trying to demilitarize and police and reduce its functions so that more specialized social services can exist that will overall reduce crime. That way, police officers’ burdens will be reduced, and funding can be put into education in disadvantaged/high crime areas, shelters can be created, and mental health services can be further strengthened. 

Oh, okay.  If reducing crime via other means could reduce the burden on police so as to permit their downsizing, in a package of changes that pay for themselves, that would be good.  Unfortunately, reducing the burden on police is not possible at the moment when cities all across America are under attack.  In fact, recent events might cause people to decide that they need a larger and more militarized police force to guard the residents, workers and visitors of cities from riots, looting and destruction of buildings.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Reallocate is the term you are looking for.  Making excuses for inaccurate verbiage is kinda of pointless and self defeating.  Either words mean something or they don't.  It's pretty easy, "Sorry, we meant reallocate resources not defund the police force."  Not hard.  Defund has been used many times to mean precisely what it means.   So I don't buy into the scramble to save face by altering word meanings.  The polarization is ONLY coming from people that utter it, not the people listening and understanding it.  "But this is what I meant" and continue to use inaccurate terms...sorry not being sold that bill of goods.

Dangit!  ^^THIS^^

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, okay.  If reducing crime via other means could reduce the burden on police so as to permit their downsizing, in a package of changes that pay for themselves, that would be good.  Unfortunately, reducing the burden on police is not possible at the moment when cities all across America are under attack.  In fact, recent event might cause people to decide that they need a larger and more militarized police force to guard the residents, workers and visitors of cities from riots, looting and destruction of buildings.

I don’t expect the changes to occur now (yeah I use logic). But agree with studies being done now to determine best course of action after things calm down.  Haven’t heard both sides yet but read some things about some of the members the nearby cities police force that if true need major overhaul. Sad part is they went into community policing and even opened up a Police Athletic Club for the youth with some positive results. But appears some bad cops might undo that long hard good work.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

For the sake of this thread, there will not be another reply. 

Good.  If you are true to your word, then there will be no more name-calling and personal attacks such as this:

I will keep my arguments to a minimum with Garfield-lite as I know once it starts, it will never end until the thread is locked.

Back to the topics you brought up:

I am not sure where this is factually incorrect information regarding the methods and effects of defunding the police.

Branding the idea you describe as "defunding" is inaccurate.  Even you admitted it was confusing.  On that, I agree with you.

PS, doesn't seem like I was wrong about the drug after all. It was a brazen advertisement by someone with personal interests. 

Not sure what you are talking about there.  But since you are not replying, I guess I will never know.

For someone to have "personal interests" to serve by touting a drug, they need to choose one that is under patent protection.  Without that, no one can create such a "personal interest" in a 70-year-old generic malaria drug already manufactured by 30* different companies all over the globe, with nothing stopping additional manufacturers from entering the market.

(* could be more than 30 - stopped counting after 3 minutes of Internet searching)

Beautiful strawman. Couldn't have done it better. No one in this thread has indicated that these changes need to be enacted immediately, nor did anyone suggest exactly how to go about doing these things. None of us are in a position of power to enact those type of changes. Only discuss it. 

No strawman.  Yes, you said nothing about immediate enactment.  I merely noted that it is unfortunate timing.

Phantom Regiment is not a corps made up of actual ghosts.

The Blue Devils is not a corps made up of Beelzebubs. And they don't wear so much blue.

The Seattle Cascades are not mountains that march around on a football field. 

"Defund the police" doesn't have to conform to what you think it sounds like. You can educate yourself on how it is overwhelmingly being used. Or you can just say "I don't mind police violence, because I haven't experienced it" if that's really what you mean - don't let vocabulary be your excuse. 

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Phantom Regiment is not a corps made up of actual ghosts.

The Blue Devils is not a corps made up of Beelzebubs. And they don't wear so much blue.

The Seattle Cascades are not mountains that march around on a football field. 

"Defund the police" doesn't have to conform to what you think it sounds like. You can educate yourself on how it is overwhelmingly being used. Or you can just say "I don't mind police violence, because I haven't experienced it" if that's really what you mean - don't let vocabulary be your excuse. 

Im starting to think they just like the taste of sand. Maybe I’ll try it out sometime. 

Gentlemen.. please put away your duelling swords and turn around and walk away in opposite directions... Take a break and come back when we are ready to be a bit less personal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

PS, doesn't seem like I was wrong about the drug after all. It was a brazen advertisement by someone with personal interests. 

An initial and very small French study, to which a lot of other researchers quickly responded with skepticism, suggested a combination of hydroxychloroquine and certain antibiotics had a salutary effect for Covid-19 patients. I think all or nearly all subsequent studies have failed to find it helps at all, either by itself or in combination with other drugs. One prominent study went ever further than that, finding that hyroxychloroquine not only didn't help but actually hurt Covid-19 patients, causing heart problems. However, those researchers subsequently withdrew that report after questions arose about the underlying data they were using.

As for why some people were pushing the drug, as far as I have heard, it doesn't have anything to do with financial interests. The drug has been around a while. It's available in generic form. Multiple companies make it, and if it were identified as a real cure, others would follow suit. It would be relatively cheap, so the financial incentive isn't there.

Instead, I think the various parties who were touting hydroxychloroquine probably have a gullible and unserious nature that leads them to hope for miracle cures rather than to face the hard truths of a bad situation and put in the real work needed to solve the problem.

(That's not meant as a description of anyone here. Most people here, often including myself, are just repeating what they hear from people they believe to be qualified to make such pronouncements.)