Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

36 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

English, circa 2009:

"Marcos Zapata was a thief
Who once did steal, and roam the street
Until a heist of his went bad
He was shot (bang bang bang) and left for dead.
Before his last breaths of life
The witch saved him from the death of night
And so arose Relampago!  (thunderclap)
To fight away the evil foe.
And so begins our hero's story
Of life, of death, and return to glory."

I was going with,

There once was a man from Nantucket.... :)

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Did you see the story about the recent college graduate who asked Merriam Webster to update their definition of "racism"? MW agreed that they needed to expand it.

I worry that broadening the definition weakens it, thereby trivializing the horrific things with which it has long been associated.  

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

No, obviously that is not the attack, that is the identification of the group of people being attacked.

The attack part is the derogatory suggestion that people who raised a legitimate issue about defining terms that need to be understood in order to discuss an important issue involving a horrible injustice are doing so because they don’t care about the injustice themselves.

When you focus on the semantics rather than the issue itself, that is the impression that is made. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I worry that broadening the definition weakens it, thereby trivializing the horrific things with which it has long been associated.  

That ship sailed a long time ago.  

17 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Could you expand on that? What horrific things has the word “defund” been associated with?

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Could you expand on that? What horrific things has the word “defund” been associated with?

Think he means the word “racism” as defined in the dictionary he referenced

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think he means the word “racism” as defined in the dictionary he referenced

Ah I thought he was still pointlessly picking apart the use of “defund” in defund the police. My bad. 

I do agree with him about not broadening the definition of racism though. No need to broaden it when we already have terms such as micro-aggressions to fill in the blanks. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When you focus on the semantics rather than the issue itself, that is the impression that is made. 

I don’t think that’s a fair conclusion to draw.  Without knowing what we are talking about, how can we possibly discuss anything in a way that solves any problems.

• Thanks 1

The scrambled nonessential use of the term “defund” and here what it means is beyond the pale of reality.  If you can’t say what you mean, perhaps find someone who is capable?  Especially when they are calling to disband the police.  I’m seeing a clear message and the inaccurate word play of “this is what it means” fails at every level.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ah I thought he was still pointlessly picking apart the use of “defund” in defund the police. My bad. 

I do agree with him about not broadening the definition of racism though. No need to broaden it when we already have terms such as micro-aggressions to fill in the blanks. 

It was a short post.... 

• Thanks 1