Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ah I thought he was still pointlessly picking apart the use of “defund” in defund the police.

I don’t think it is pointless to want people to understand each other when they discuss racial injustice or police brutality, such that we might at least have a chance at making the world a better place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

I was going with,

There once was a man from Nantucket.... 🙂

Maybe Scouts should have gone with that rather than Relampago.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t think it is pointless to want people to understand each other when they discuss racial injustice or police brutality, such that we might at least have a chance at making the world a better place.

You’ve had numerous people explain to you what it means, and you also have the beauty of the internet to inform. And that applies to everyone. If someone isn’t understanding it, that’s on them. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ah I thought he was still pointlessly picking apart the use of “defund” in defund the police. My bad. 

When there actually is an effort in progress to abolish*, or replace**, the Minneapolis police department (which, according to news reports today, was passed by unanimous vote of the city council), the distinction between that and mere downsizing becomes even more important.

(* word choice per Townhall.com)

(** word choice per Reuters)

• Like 1

Well since we’ve had an all day discussion on the meaning of words here’s another question.

Do we ignore the plea to look at the police departments and try to improve them because the “phraseology” is confusing?

phraseology from the Music Man

• Like 1

Completely fixable under the system that exists if you are willing to hold people accountable and vote them out of office.  Floyd's death COMPLETELY avoidable if people had done their jobs.  The silence on this has been deafening and revealing.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Completely fixable under the system that exists if you are willing to hold people accountable and vote them out of office.  Floyd's death COMPLETELY avoidable if people had done their jobs.  The silence on this has been deafening and revealing.

How do you vote out bad cops and higher ups who support them? Been reading stories of good cops who stepped in to stop brutality and ended up getting fired for it. Or the Buffalo special group who resigned when the city tried to hold 2 of their members accountable.

As for holding city leaders responsible, as a former govt employee I’ve learned management 2 or more levels above the workers can be bs’ed pretty easily. So don’t see this as a political problem unless the politicians really do know how bad things are. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You’ve had numerous people explain to you what it means, and you also have the beauty of the internet to inform. And that applies to everyone. If someone isn’t understanding it, that’s on them. 

You can insult me all you want, but I have heard numerous different  explanations of what it means on the Internet and elsewhere.  I am well aware of the various redefinitions of the term that some are claiming are the only acceptable ones.  My only point was we should stop attacking and try to understand each other, but that is obviously a lost cause, so I will withdraw from the discussion.  

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Note that in Camden, N.J., the most prominent example of radically changing a police force (with apparently good results), there are actually more police now than before.

In Camden, using a county-level police force, the makeup of the police is something like 43 pct white. The city of 77,000 is 80 pct black/Hispanic. The old police department was 70 pct black/hispanic.  

They had sbout 250 police before and 400 today. The police union was thrown out, and salariez/benefits are much lower today.

The union sued and won at the end, but it took so long to make its way through the state Supreme Court it was a hollow victory...too late to change it back.

On the good side, there is a lot more community involvement at the cop-on-the-beat level.

Officers tend to quit more than before due to the low pay compared to other towns.

• Thanks 1