Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Well, everyone minus one at best, cause I don’t have any idea what you are saying. As one of the people in the referenced “last few posts”, I was unsure of how related to anything I was saying.

Last couple of pages seeing a discussion of businesses might loose customers or employees if they take a stand. Then goes into discussion of it makes no sense to take that chance as BLM policies are not 100% clear. Didn’t want to name anyone but you are in that discussion. I just don’t see the logic of looking for answers here as doubt anyone owns a business that released a statement 

Edit: wouldn’t be surprised if personal experiences of business owner and/or employees have a lot to do with the statements. Worked 3 years with a segregationalist and putting up with that crap has hardened my opinion and voicing said opinion 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Voicing support of an ambiguous movement under duress is not speaking out on an issue.  

Probably the most thoughtful comment I’ve seen yet on this.

Tying this back into the drum corps realm, my old corps (I keep forgetting my kid qualifies as an alum there too now ) recently posted a new profile photo on their FB page of the corps shield logo drenched in black with the script “V” forming the middle letter of “LiVes”.

The result was incendiary from the membership, both current and former. One longtime corps vet alum who is now a longtime LEO tried to give his very balanced perspective, and he was summarily pounced upon by the “You are not of the Body of L’Andrew; you will be AB-sorb-ed!” camp. Others wanted a more moderate message using “all”. Still  others wanted the corps to stay out and focus on survival. The curtain got pulled back on a lot of ugliness, and when combined with issues related to the ED topic which won’t be resolved anytime soon I will be surprised if the airplane can still be reused when it lands. 

Edited by TRacer

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Last couple of pages seeing a discussion of businesses might loose customers or employees if they take a stand. Then goes into discussion of it makes no sense to take that chance as BLM policies are not 100% clear. Didn’t want to name anyone but you are in that discussion. I just don’t see the logic of looking for answers here as doubt anyone owns a business that released a statement 

Well I don’t think it is a fair characterization to say it is merely about not being 100% clear.  There are important aspects that are not much better than zero percent clear.  And those aspects affect and arguably endanger lives, including black lives, which I personally do not think are marginal.  

Also, I found your reference to “some white people” amusing to say the least.  With all the tension going on, it honestly made my day.  Suffice it to say that you never know who you might be talking to. 

😄

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Well I don’t think it is a fair characterization to say it is merely about not being 100% clear.  There are important aspects that are not much better than zero percent clear.  And those aspects affect and arguably endanger lives, including black lives, which I personally do not think are marginal.  

Also, I found your reference to “some white people” amusing to say the least.  With all the tension going on, it honestly made my day.  Suffice it to say that you never know who you might be talking to. 

😄

As for first paragraph my point is about questioning or disagreeing with business statements without going to the source. Makes no sense to me as we don’t know. Extended family had business back in 50/60s and owner caught crap at times for not caring about color of employees (some customers didn’t like non-whites near their food). Owner had his reasons for making a stand. Some were he felt it was right and some he didn’t like being told what to do. But he could have lost customers or employees for taking a stand too just like today.  Can just picture if we had SM back then. Would be people question or guessing why he did what he did. Then as now, just an exercise in typing without any real results 

Agree... fine, disagree.... fine.... from what you’ve posted you can’t understand and/or disagree with the business statements. That is not what I am discussing and will not discuss

As for second one I’ll take my lumps as never should have mentioned race in any of this. Or assumed business ownership

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So you would have no problem with people boycotting a business because the owner is black?

More strawmen? 

Who is boycotting a business because the owner is white? 

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for first paragraph my point is about questioning or disagreeing with business statements without going to the source. Makes no sense to me as we don’t know. Extended family had business back in 50/60s and owner caught crap at times for not caring about color of employees (some customers didn’t like non-whites near their food). Owner had his reasons for making a stand. Some were he felt it was right and some he didn’t like being told what to do. But he could have lost customers or employees for taking a stand too just like today.  Can just picture if we had SM back then. Would be people question or guessing why he did what he did. Then as now, just an exercise in typing without any real results 

Actually that is pretty much what I am saying.  No one should be blacklisted or boycotted by anyone who has no real idea or understanding of what they believe.  Which is what would happen if we make stated allegiance to an ambiguous movement a litmus test for such a thing.

15 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Actually that is pretty much what I am saying.  No one should be blacklisted or boycotted by anyone who has no real idea or understanding of what they believe.  Which is what would happen if we make stated allegiance to an ambiguous movement a litmus test for such a thing.

Ok less words make it easier for me to understand 😜 

To me someone calling a boycott and expecting everyone to go along is stupid. Then again I was raised to make up my own mind and bleep anyone else. If someone wants to tell me why they think I should boycott fine but respect my decision either way I go. I have not read the statements businesses have released because frankly I have no idea which are sincere and which are CYA. 

Edit: just remembered I boycotted the local (2 blocks away) McDs some years back. Owner brought overseas young folks over under false pretenses and was ripping them off pretty good. Really hit as was talking to one of them (Gorge) and 2 days later he’s breaking the story to local news 😳  People thought I was nuts for going miles out of my way for a Big Mac but I had my reasons. (Finally corporate bought owner out because of the bad press). 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok less words make it easier for me to understand 😜 

Or in my case, smaller words make it easier for me to understand!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Who is boycotting a business because the owner is white? 

I mean, maybe a tanning salon if he is really, really white, but that would be more about the effectiveness of the product.  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Or in my case, smaller words make it easier for me to understand!

Well that too.... too many sill-lob-bills (syllables) not good

• Haha 1